Board installation/upgrade/conversion notes

If you're having problems with the site, tips, or suggestions, post here.

Moderator: Moderators

xmenclan
Site Admin

Board installation/upgrade/conversion notes

Post by xmenclan »

Figured I'd start a new topic over here.

I'm working on conversions right now, and I can tell you it's not going really smoothly. There are bright spots, though.

I've converted the announcements forum successfully. Piece of cake. One of the nice things is that it brings over the user IDs that are present in that forum. If you did not explicitly register on this board, but have an EZBoard account and your username is on the memberlist, contact me (Gambit) for your password.

The bad news is mostly that not every forum will convert properly. The applications forum, for example, has some HTML errors that blow up the converter. I haven't yet found the problem well enough to fix it. The rest of the bad news that I've found so far has to do with images. Not that big a deal, but kind of ugly when they don't come across and you just have a dead image box in the new forum. :( The apps forum isn't that critical, but if the same thing happened in the main one, it'd be sad.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

hrm.. I guess it never hurts to try... It's weird that it doesn't take the images, or at least the hyperlinks to those images since the server does not host the images. (Exboard server)
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Question for ya Gambit... iIf you import a forum with my user acct in it, will it import properly, or will it bump me (my new account) off? Do we know? I used Spinning Hat on the ezboard too.
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
xmenclan
Site Admin

Post by xmenclan »

Short answer: I dunno.

However, based on what I've learned, I think it will leave the account on the new board alone. I'll be importing some more tonight, so we may not have long to wonder.
xmenclan
Site Admin

Post by xmenclan »

Just did the ToB forum. Now EZBoard can't steal our tales like they did our jokes!

Oh, the deal with the sig pics has to do with which HTML tags are allowed. Duh. I've opened it up a bit and stuff is importing better now. Still limited flash and scripting though.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

My cookie got forgotten, but I logged in OK. Thanks for all your work Gambit. :D
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

OK, got the registration/confirmation problem licked. Sorry about the confusion.
xmenclan
Site Admin

Post by xmenclan »

It has been recommended that we have a general forum. I agree - but I don't want to have two general forums to keep up with at once. When we import the last two forums over from the old EZBoard, we'll continue our conversations in that one.

Signature length has been extended to 1024 bytes.
xmenclan
Site Admin

Post by xmenclan »

Converting the xmen only forum now. The fun part is going to be the membership lists. Ack. :) Probably have to do it on a request basis after I add an initial few.

I'll get the main public forum moved over tonight, hopefully, or at least this weekend. Then we'll be all moved out!
xmenclan
Site Admin

Post by xmenclan »

Here we go. Private forum in place, main forum is on its way...

*edit*
... or not. Getting an ezboard error. Will try later.