Building a new rig

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I will do, Thanks Ice.

Scary thought just occurred to me.. Are my parts going to be damaged sitting on my porch awaiting for me to arrive home from work? The porch is covered so any potential precipitation shouldn't hit my packages, but it's the freezing temperatures that concern me.

Everything is en route, I wish I had sent the packages to work now.
What brought this on was noticing my monitor was delivered at 8:30a est today.

Am I worrying for nothing? Any precautions I should take when bringing the packages inside? Any other suggestions or input that may help calm me?
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

As long as they don't get wet/aren't wet when you try to power them on, they'll be fine. Condensation of cold parts in a humid room is the devil!
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Well, I got everything assembled and running today :). Booted right up the first go. Haven't done much except download necessary things like adobe and flash etc. Fan's are pretty quiet even with the tower sitting 3 ft to my right on the desk. Only (tiny) negative thing so far is the stock cpu cooler has some kind of rattling that I imagine will get old if i'm not wearing my headphones.

Had to order another SATA cable for my HDD as it didn't come with one. Also had to order a power cable to 3 pin fan cable coupler as I didn't have another spot on my mobo for my last fan.

Currently am just running off my SSD, going to have to find myself some type of guide in order to run apps off the ssd and data from the hdd as I'm not very familiar with that.

I appreciate all the insight everyone gave. And btw Gambit, this IPS monitor is amazing, many thanks!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

You're welcome. Glad you like it!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Sharpster, all you need to do is install your IDE drive, and save data / install programs on it. I only have the basics on the SSD in my rig, and the most commonly played games. Everything else is on my standard IDE 2TB drive. Nothing special to do in Win8 to use a config like that.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Sharpster, all you need to do is install your IDE drive, and save data / install programs on it. I only have the basics on the SSD in my rig, and the most commonly played games. Everything else is on my standard IDE 2TB drive. Nothing special to do in Win8 to use a config like that.
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Oh ok great! Brother in-law started rambling on about RAID setups and that's something I know nothing about.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You only want RAID if you have similar drives. You don't need to have a RAID setup with an SSD and IDE drive in the system.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Just want to clarify, is an IDE the same as a HDD?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hat's using the term "IDE" a little loosely. Any recent HD is more likely uses a SATA interface, while IDE is one of the older ribbon cable type interfaces. However, his point is correct - RAID is best used with sets of identical drives. I'm not going to tell you how best to separate your OS and data but you can check out one of the many online guides like this one:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/sean ... -ssds-hdds
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

< - Old School.. I know it's SATA, but still call them IDE Drives..
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

No problem Hat, I'd just never heard of IDE before. I guess it was a little before my time :wink:. Thanks for the guide Gambit, it was actually one of the 2 that I had bookmarked to read. With the second drive now setup, last fan connected, and all of my cable management finalized I can say that I think I'm completely finished with the build. MAN did I miss PC gaming! 8)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Gaming.. Gaming.. What is this"Gaming" you speak of? Does it have something to do with Microeconomics, or Financial Accounting? lol
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I believe gaming is what they call the 45 min. you slip in before you have to start dinner. And the occasional hour or 2 when you're fiance falls asleep and you stay up later then you should :lol: .
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Sounds like you need to break your new rig in with some all-night gaming on Tribes.

BTW, you think IDE is old... look up ISA or VME. :p

(I've used both, but the more recent was a VME bus for a 68k microcontroller.)