Major update! (Or, WTH happened to my XMEN board?)

If you're having problems with the site, tips, or suggestions, post here.

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Major update! (Or, WTH happened to my XMEN board?)

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Surprise, we just had a major update to the forum. I fully admit I've been neglecting the site maintenance. Part of my reason for never upgrading was that I kind of liked the styles we'd been using, and the new version didn't have those. Finally the choice was taken out of my hands when Hostgator disabled the old version of php that the BB has been running on. Y'know, security.

Now we're running the shiny new PHPBB3 version and I hope it's a lot friendlier interface wise. I've just completed the conversion process and a few tests. Lots of advancements under the hood. Functions like password updates/reminders and notification emails should be a WHOLE LOT smoother.

Style-wise... I've got nothing as yet. I'll poke around a bit, may try out a few options. If you've got a preference, speak up! :D

Edit: Here's the phpBB styles database. Since you can select the one you want in your user profile, I can just download a bunch and you can pick what works for you. Just let me know.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Re: Major update! (Or, WTH happened to my XMEN board?)

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I think I've finally fixed it.

The old board was always plagued with spambots applying for access. I ended up turning that off.

The new board has things like captcha and other spambot defensive measures. With captcha though you have to register with google. The other built-in alternatives were still letting some bots through. So I replaced that with a simple Q&A question - and no spambot applications have been seen since. Yay!