Star Conflict

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

Starmage21
Inmate

Star Conflict

Post by Starmage21 »

This is a space shooter MMO that is going to be free to play. Its in Open Beta now, so I decided to check it out.

I kid you not, it plays EXACTLY like Star Wars Galaxies: Jump To Lightspeed.

Really cool in spite of that, because that seemed to be a good control scheme for mouse+keyboarding it in a 3d spce-fighter-sim.

On a slightly related note, I want to fly big capital ships in combat. I dunno if this game could even possibly deliver on that, but that's my dream game.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

So something more like the ships in the honor harrington universe? (Big things that toss missiles at each other over the long range and energy weapons at shorter range?
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

I dunno what that is, so I cannot relate.

I have discovered that missiles in games are finite. You bring your maximum loadout of missiles at the beginning, and thats all you get no matter how many times you respawn.

Best to save them for crutch moments because they do a significant amount of damage. Fighters can easily dodge them at long range, and some of the frigates (the big slow tanky fighters) get flares.

I have also seen other ships that are probably higher end that have either smart or manually controlled missiles. And yet others with big blast radii. No clue what they are yet, im only level 3.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Here's the first book for the honor harrington novels:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/on-basi ... 0743435710

The kind of space combat depicted in the books would be an incredible game if done right. Something along the lines of the big space battle scene in the movie Serenity.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've been playing this a little bit, too. Seems like they should be able to do larger ships with turret gunners and the like. I never played SWG, but I thought the control scheme resembled (and improved on) Freelancer a bit. I'm sure it will be interesting as they flesh it out a bit. For a beta, quality is good.