Saturday nights with !OT!

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

Nilk
Inmate

Saturday nights with !OT!

Post by Nilk »

It seems some of my old teammates from Order of the Talon get together around 8pm CST and play on a dedicated server. They say they get enough people together for a 6v6 and are looking to fill the server. Drop me a line on Saturday night on Steam and I'll see if we can't join their TS3 server as well.
(nilkilla on steam)
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

I'm not always available on Saturday nights, but if I'm around I'll come play.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hot Damn wrote:I'm not always available on Saturday nights, but if I'm around I'll come play.
Hmmm.....

:D
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Give us a time and server info. I will probably be there. :)
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

I don't always play games, but when I do, I play Tribes:Ascend. Stay airborne my friends.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

:lol

I'm in when I can. :p
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Was a fun night of playing. For those that didn't get to come we played 6v6 or 5v5. Each map 2 new team captains were selected and they picked teams (just like dodgeball in school...someone gets picked last). So teams completely changed each map and roles get picked at the start of each map.

Nil, thanks for the invite. It was a blast! Voice chat, Team damage on (first time I've had to deal with that in T:A), nice folks to play with (no egos that I noticed), and for the first time in T:A for me the feel of ladder matches!

All the maps were heavily contested, even if the score didn't lend itself to that fact. I think 5-2 Stonehenge, 4-3 in OT on Raindance, and 5-1 Crossfire were the three I played in and only the last one was over quickly. Lots of chat and screwing around between the "comp maps", no tac strikes or orbitals in tourney mode! We played with no fractals and no gen rape (I think they said they'd do gen rape 7v7, but not lower). Great fun overall.

BTW Nil, I had NEVER capped (pubbed once for 1 minute until it ended) Stonehenge and had zero routes on there. :) Raindance felt a little one sided because they had an awesome shriker and we didn't, but it was still a blast and still went into OT. And Crossfire...well...need we discuss Crossfire? ;)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

DANGIT!

I am just now able to get on. :(
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Move east, young man
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

crossfire was simply painful! ended up getting Mr H from AC involved as well and I'm sure he'll show up next week. I'll see if anyone else from their camp is available coming up and if I see gryphon or mustang on I may let them know. Olde Wolfe was thinking they could get as many as 20-25 players on!
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Organized 12v12 would be pretty wild on some of those maps. I'd be happy with 10v10 (7v7 doesn't lend itself to using some classes like Tech in my opinion, but is still a little small for gen rape).
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Organized is definitely better than pubing.
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Played 4 maps last night, all in the new "blitz" mode with most 7v7. Not a fan of blitz as a capper, but I can see the appeal if you run organized cluster style offenses.

For those that don't know, the flag moves every time a cap is made against you, so for instance on drydock it starts in the normal spot, moves to the front tower, moves to the back side of the front tower, moves to the top of the main base, then finally (I think) inside the main base. The 5th cap is usually an "inside the base" type of grab where the others are all outside.

We started on Blitz Drydock where I attempted to play HoF in a Doombringer setup. Stopped a few cowboy grabs until their HO showed up and proceeded to run rampant all over our D which led to a 5-0 capout for them. I tried to call a tactics change when we were down 3-0 but I think our team was overwhelmed at that point.

Arx Blitz was next and I returned to capping, but our spamming Jugg was getting shutdown in mid and we got no clear grabs so I believe the score ended up 5-1 them. I believe the 2 HO strategy was used again here as our defense reported that they were getting "blown the hell up". Some of the guys are too infatuated with playing Tech in 7v7 and smaller games imo, but I try to stay civil in pickup games :)

Next was Kata Blitz, and playing off of diamond sword I thought I'd get to try out my new 320 sanic route. Needless to say we got the first quick cap and now the flag moved to another spot and my route became useless :( This was the closest map of the 4 and I believe they went up 3-1 before we made a comeback to 4-3. They tied it up and the last grab site was inside the base right down near where the invens are. Tough grab site for both of us and as our offense was trying to get our timing right they snuck the flag out and got it back for the cap. Definitely the best game of the night even with our side being the losing side. Much better adjustments by my team on the fly too.

Last map went back to Drydock Blitz (I guess there are only 3 blitz maps?) where I got to cap (2 cappers, 1 HO) this time. It was very useful knowing where the flags would show up this round and I was able to use some speedy grabs good teamwork to get us up 4-0. The fifth cap was another toughie but I believe our HO ended up getting the flag out and brought it midfield for the handoff to seal the win.

Definitely goes to show tactics win the day. We just got crushed on the first Drydock by their HO. I'm not sure where our D was (chasing with me just left to deal with 2 HO?) but once they got their second cap we never came close to recovering. Arx we never came close to breaking their D and I was forced to try and cap around 2 shields, mines, HoF, and a chaser. The other team seemed to ignore trying to D the flag on Kata and seemed more intent on chasing/returns in the field, but there's something to be said for that strat while playing Blitz imo. The last drydock we just broke them and they never recovered until after that fourth cap. They got some nice D up inside the base, but by then it was just a matter of time.
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Got power back on Friday after wonderful Hurricane Isaac, so I got to play in the Saturday night mixer again! Yay! All matches were between 7v7 and 9v9.

First map was Stonehenge, which is much changed (imo) since they added the fog. Snipers are only partially effective now, and the map just has a different feel to it (for one, you have to know your routes or you're just hosed). I played spam HO most of the match, and we won 5-1 with our capper limping home a lot after having to wade through not only their defense (what was left of it) but our offensive MIRV barrage. I actually started feeling sorry for their flag D after I used the portable inventory to get more MIRV's for the third time (they left me alone most of the match).

Second map was Katabatic, and we were blood eagle (I was BE all night come to think of it). We got rocked 5-0 thanks to excellent sniping from them and a chaser (versus flag) defense that nullified our HO's usefulness. We got their flag back to our base once and our defense spent most of the time chasing their excellent cappers. I couldn't get their flag past midfield most of the time between 2 LD and the sniper blanketing me.

Third map was Raindance and I was capping/LO and spent a lot of time flag clearing with disc spam. We were easily winning this with a stellar flag D (versus the good capper on the other team from Kata) and some timely grabs when Tribes completely crashed with us up 3-0. EVERY ONE got booted out of Tribes totally, not just the server. The majority of us went back in and replayed the map, with us finally winning 5-0 (so 8-0 total). The last cap I was bringing home and the other team had hung it up by that point and went all Jugg and getting the last cap became a comedy of pathfinders exploding every step of the way, but they couldn't get the return and we got the cap to finish them.

Ice, I saw your message but I couldn't replay mid-game. The server pw for these is "mixer" and the TS3 server is voice-tx1.branzone.com:10016

They said invite all your friends as their dream is playing 16v16 like the old days (I suggested an all night Crossfire extravaganza if we ever get 16v16). Lots of the same faces every week, but always some new ones too. We usually play 3 maps then whomever is left pubs afterwards. 8pm central on Saturday nights, come play!
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

argh! hated to have missed it, but I'm ironing out my ivy bridge upgrade. I'll definitely be on tomorrow night, if you are up for some games!