Argh! down 2 memory slots?

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Nilk
Inmate

Argh! down 2 memory slots?

Post by Nilk »

Recently I had upgraded to 12GB memory. Then I was goofing around with a windows info program for my software class, and it informed me that the BIOS was misreporting my memory.(showing 4x2 instead of 6x2). Thing is the memory showed in all of the slots, but only 8gb usable. So I put all memory settings to auto and ran memtest. It shows all 6 sticks of memory, but still only 8GB usable. If I set it to probe the memory, it gives me steady memories. So, I took all the memory out and tested each stick in slot 0. They all tested good. So I put back in 4x2 for dual channel. All 8gb detect like they have all along. Then, I put in all 6 sticks...and it still shows the 8gb. so I take out all memory except 0-2-4. 0 and 2 detect, but not 4.

Now, I'm thinking hardware failure of slots 4 and 5 have failed. Maybe it is the BIOS? I will try flashing BIOS next, while I contact eVGA for support.

Any other suggestions appreciated!
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

has it every shown you the full 12gb?
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

I'd have to say no. at first I thought it was the 3.99GB "bug" associated with my motherboard. So I troubleshot that bug out of my system. Now I realize it is back to that bug(as I have now replaced BIOS with latest version).
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Sounds like you've covered your bases. I'm interested to hear what eVGA says.

Are all the sticks by the same manufacturer? And did you try sets of both old and new sticks in only 5+6? (leaving 1-4 empty?)
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

XMEN Gambit wrote:Sounds like you've covered your bases. I'm interested to hear what eVGA says.

Are all the sticks by the same manufacturer? And did you try sets of both old and new sticks in only 5+6? (leaving 1-4 empty?)
The sticks between the channels themselves are of the same brand. Though one set is Mushkin the other Corsair. Both sets have same timings, speeds, and voltage.(1600mhz@9-9-9-24 1.65v). I had an issue when I first received the board(this is a replacement for a previous rma, for a completely different issue.) that had to do with memory settings. I went back to just that set and reset values to what worked before and they still won't show from those 2 slots. I have tried those slots individually and i can't even reach post. The onboard post display cycles through the same 3 codes that oneday I may remember to write down.