LAN Party for charity!

There's nothin' like 0 ping, baby!

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

LAN Party for charity!

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Guys, I got an email from John Zitterkopf at Intel today. He would like some help with a DFW LAN party in March with tourneys, prizes, and proceeds go to Shriner's children's hospitals. Since we have a little expertise in the area I thought maybe we could find some volunteers. I'll also post on to SoUP and Lanblast but feel free to make your own contacts.

Here's his email:
I'm looking for an active Dallas gaming clan to run some tourneys and provide some help at the event. Any interest?

Intel Lanfest cooperation with E-Sports Entertainment (ESEA) will come together this March to put on a LAN party for the benefit of the Shriners Hospitals for Children and the Texas gaming community. There will be tournaments, prizes, and a lot of time for gaming - whether you are an über gamer or a noobie.

When: March 12-14, 2010
Where: Hella Shrine (2121 Rowlett Road, Garland TX)

Cost:
$25 (pre registration) or $30 (at the door) donated to Shriners Hospitals.

Maximum estimated Capacity: 120 players

This event is open to the public and we encourage you to pre-register to ensure you will get a seat. To register follow the instructions at:
http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&eventid=1389

We are in need of volunteers to help with the event - specifically for Setup and Teardown.
We are also seeking groups to help run various tournaments; please feel free to offer help if you have that type of expertise. Please contact Zittware (at) hotmail.com for more information.
zitt

Post by zitt »

Let me know if you guys have any questions - be happy to answer.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've got one for you, John... What games are planned, or have we got that far yet?

I myself would like to help out personally. I have a "Real Job" (tm) so I probably won't be able to arrive early enough for setup. But can probably work teardown and/or miscellaneous stuff during the event.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I think we can help. I will contact some more guys here and see how many we can get. Get back at you shortly.

David
zitt

Post by zitt »

We don't yet have a game tournament list - we plan on working those details in the coming weeks.
I'd be surprised if we were going old skool and doing some Quake3. Probably; a valve game - likely L4D and/or L4D2. Maybe some Team Fortress 2. Probably some Battlefield 2. We may have some RTS - Sins of Solar or Company of Heroes.
I just picked up BioShock2 ; so a possiblity.

No plans on MMOs; again - internet connectivity for 120 people can be problem.
Do you have a specific set of games you're interested in?
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I strongly recommend the following:

TF2
L4D2
Battlefield 2
Modern Warfare

Just my 2 cents.

FYI, I emailed the gamers here at our corporate campus...hopefully you will be getting some emails.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Of the games listed, my opinions...

TF2 definitely. Valve keeps updating it so stays semi-fresh.
BF2 I love. Don't know how well it's aging in the community.
MW or LFD1 or 2 I'm ok with. Don't have L4D2 but that's not your problem. :)

I would like to try Sins multi. Don't have COH. Might think about Sword of the Stars in there, or maybe Supreme Commander.

Bioshock2 is probably too new for now but in a month? Maybe...
zitt

Post by zitt »

A reminder guys... here's your opportunity to get your mods directly infront of the editors of CPU magazine as they will be hosting the case mod contest. Myself and some key members of the AustinModders crew will be represen' ... however, we won't be able to compete because we'll be staff.

We have about two weeks before the event opens... so consider coming out and showcasin' your mods or your elite gamming skillz. ;)

We still haven't bottomed out on a game list. However, we'll defiantly be doing tourneys from multiple genres. L4D and either COH or SC2 are highly likely. There are rumors of a CSS tourney from ESEA so that might make some happy. I'm thinkin something old skool... like Quake3.

Sponsor list is still coming in; however, we got prizes from Crucial, monitors from IZ3D, and of course processors from Intel.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Thanks for the reminder, John. I gotta get over there and sign up...
zitt

PreCloses in 2 days

Post by zitt »

Pre-registration for the 2010 Dallas event will close on Wed 3/10 at Noon CST.
After noon CST 3/10; all seats will be on a First Come First Served basis at the Door and will cost $30.

If you have not paid AND selected a seat in the BYOC; your seat may be forefit and subject to FCFS rules.

Please encourage any friends to pre-register before Noon CST, Wed.

Inital list of Tournies have been posted:
http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&su ... entid=1389

Expect to do L4D Friday night; and most other events saturday.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Ok, I have registered and picked a seat. (K1, other end of table from the Zitt.)

checking over the tourney page, I see:

COH, L4D, CSS, COD4, and Quake 3 "endurance." (No TF2!)

And then of course there's freeplay, and other events which aren't on the site yet.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Alas I cannot make it due to remodel I am in the midst of. Tearing out the cabinets and floor this weekend. Boy I loves me that air chisel. :)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hey, I'm heavily into my camper project, but I'm taking the day for the LAN. :)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've returned and it was good. Unfortunately I couldn't stay long enough for the TF2 tourney on Saturday night but I did compete in several others. Didn't place. However I did get a nice doorprize - an Astrogaming A40 headset that retails for about $200. The guy in front of me at sign-in got an i7 processor. Other goodies included motherboards, memory, one of those new 3d monitors, several other processors, and some other stuff.

Thanks for inviting me, John!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

And now we have... Pictures!

http://dansdom.dyndns.org/imglib/2010_D ... l_LanFest/

Helping out with the LAN was the Austin Modders group. They had three PCs displayed and I made sure to get shots of them. There's Deja 2.0, a classy wooden case mod. The second was a laptop with a scene from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan etched into the case, and the last was very retro. Not sure if it was actually an old TV or oscilloscope or what. The tube had been replaced and would actually display color but it was set to B&W for effect.