Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Post by XMEN Gambit »

As posted in the MW thread, I've just installed and played BF:BC2 for the first time. First impression of the single player is that they're trying to do Battlefield: Modern Warfare, but with destructible environments (which is, granted, a Very Cool Thing). Feels in some ways like Far Cry as well. But the graphics don't strike me as well as they did in either of those, may be because I've so far been set on "medium." :) I'm pleased it hasn't crashed on me, also that when installing they give you a choice as to disk check or online check. I'm no fan of either but I love the choice. Wonder whose idea that was?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Finished the singleplayer a few days ago, been trying to play the multi since.
I say trying. Typical of DICE, I guess, the thing's got plenty o' bugs.

First couple of nights it was random crash-like things. Finally did some research and solved that by forcing the DirectX version to 9. :(

Still got a few bugs such as my pilot/UAV control apparently has no vertical - makes flying a little difficult. Going to have to get out the joystick, I guess, and see if that helps.

There was of course the frustration of emptying a clip into a nearby enemy who still managed to kill me first. Others dealing with other folks having better equipment. I'm slowly adjusting for that and have got three or four unlocks now (sniper). I do find it difficult to understand why you have to unlock the medic, repair, and ammo packs before their respective classes can use them, since those seem to be basic needs of those classes. Ah, well, combat training...

I've noticed that a weaving pattern has nearly replaced bunny-hopping as the evasive tactic of choice.

Overall, when I started multi I really really preferred MW/MW2, nearly couldn't stand BC2. I'm slowly warming up to it, though. Have to give it some more time to see where it plateaus. At this point I think I'll still prefer MW but we'll see.
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

Not a shining endorsement.
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

Must be a PC thing :D No technical problems like that on Xbox.

I don't think gear makes a huge difference. I still use my initial weapon as my choice on a couple of setups. Higher ranks just get additional gadgets like grenade/smoke launcher or red dot sights etc added to the same weapon you are using, nothing really out guns lower level players. Unlocks are fast too, just a couple of games and you can unlock alt gear for a spec.

Seems to me there must be a vertical key, when you first pilot a craft is there no message telling you the keys? A few comments I searched for looks like you can bind them too.

I also enjoy teaming up with friends, really reminds me of Tribes.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Oh, there's supposed to be a vertical key. I press it. No worky. Hmm, says I, I'll bind a mouse key as well! Did, no change. So either a bug which doesn't affect everyone, or something I can control somehow once I figure it out. I lean toward the latter. :)

Regarding unlocks, one of them is the level-2 sniper rifle, a semi-auto (T88-something). I don't like it and use the starter M21 bolt action. Other than that so far is just kit. I suspect part of my problem is just unfamiliarity.

So, glowing endorsement? Not yet! I know there are charms I've not yet discovered, though, so don't want to write it off too quickly. I'm 1 or 2 levels from max in MW1, like it a lot, and I didn't much care for it at first either. It was a lot more mature when I first picked it up, too, so I don't know if the level of bugginess is higher relative to the equivalent stage of BC2. (MW2 does seem more polished than BC2, and they're almost the same age.)

Short answer: stay tuned.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Still slowly warming. Bugs definitely factor into the like/don't like equation. I'm now rank 4. Got the bronze/silver star a couple times but not sure how I earned it. :)

Found the _correct_ vertical control (yup, labeling threw me off) so piloting is easier now.

To Gryph's original point, BC2 is definitely designed around teamwork more than MW/MW2. Can be a good or bad thing depending on your squad.

Edit: My stats:

Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

I've been hammering the PC version of Bad Company 2 for awhile now. I just hit rank 22, and I've only got the M16 unlock left to obtain from the assault class.

Give me a holler if you wanna play with me. My ingame soldier name is Starmage21