Modern Warfare 1/2

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Modern Warfare 1/2

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I haven't seen anyone post on this here yet, so I'll give a summary of my experiences.

I wasn't all that interested in COD:MW. Never played it. Then local guy BarneeFife announced he was going to feature it at a LAN party of his last December. Shortly thereafter Steam had a sale on it for $20, so I picked it up and played through the single player. Figured I was familiar enough with it to play at a LAN and enjoy myself. Hah. Well, Barnee's LAN never materialized, but we did play it a little at that Intel LAN around spring break. I discovered I didn't know diddly and got schooled. Ok, fine, no problem. Next game. :)

Some weeks ago, around when MW2 was released, Steam had a free weekend of MW2. I played it and discovered I liked it. A lot. Got hooked on the achievements and such. The game tries to reward (or at least acknowledge) several good things you did on that map, such as "no deaths from behind" and "most kills above rank" and such, if you don't qualify for ones like "most headshots" or "most grenade kills." It has an unlock system similar to the BF series, but includes more than just weapons. Such as an ability to hide from enemy radar, or see enemy claymores, or special sights for your weapons. Additionally it has the concept of killstreaks and deathstreaks. Get a number of kills in a row without dying and you get to call in air support, airdrops, etc. Get a number of deaths with no kills and get the ability to mimic your killer's loadout, or extra health when you spawn, etc. The MW1 does almost all these things too, but not quite as well. Once introduced properly to the concept in MW2 I could appreciate MW1 better. Been playing a lot of it ever since. Not to mention losing a lot of sleep on the free weekends. :)

Game modes include (but not limited to) free for all deathmatch, team deathmatch, domination (capture the point), good ol' CTF, Search and Destroy (Counterstrike clone), Sabotage (take 1 neutral bomb and blow NME base), and others.

I won't buy MW2 while it's still going for $50 or so. But once they start discounting it I'd probably be more inclined to pick it up.
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

been playing MW2 for a bit now. I want to try BF BC2
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Me too. ;)
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

I have MW2 beat the SP, I never could get into the MP very much, too crazy run and gun Quake style instagibs.

BC2 for Xbox!!!

I know, FPS on console, but damn I am having so much fun BC2, close to my old Tribes days kind of fun and addiction. A lot of ATF and Soup are playing, we are running multiple squads all the time pwning servers. There is a lot more Tribes style strategy and teamplay in BC2 than MW2 imho.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Fry's is having a sale. I just got home with BF:BC2 (PC) for $25. MW2 was $35 and I did not pick it up; will wait longer.

Consoles for $35 if you like your games on the couch.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Slightly off-topic, but the article does talk about MW2...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/14/red- ... finder-fr/

Red dot sight for camera hotshoe. Woah.