What's the latest in Motherboard/CPU's?

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

ATF Ravok
Inmate

What's the latest in Motherboard/CPU's?

Post by ATF Ravok »

Hey everyone,

I am wondering what would be a good deal for a motherboard/CPU combination? I now know that Intel's i7 is the top-knotch processor going right now, but what do you guys think?

Would you get an i5, or an AMD Phenom II?

Are you guys in the running this new stuff?

Thanks in advance.

"Your link to missing links."
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Don't feel qualified to answer at the moment since I've not shopped them lately. I do generally trust Anandtech.com for reviews on what they have, but they don't have everything.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I am about to sell my Athlon X2 6000 game machine and building myself a new i5 quad-core machine.

I think I am going to use one of the new Gigabyte P55 motherboards with USB 3.0 on it.

I build a new machine about every 3 years, sell it, and for about $300 more I build a new one. Pretty reasonable.

HOWEVER...I am stuck on which video card I should go with. Opinions? the ATI 5770 or the GeForce 260/275 are looking good.
ATF Ravok
Inmate

Post by ATF Ravok »

good to see ATI and GeForce still battling it out. I wonder if AMD will ever make a strong comeback. I always liked that company.

Thank you for your advice!

"Your link to missing links."
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Ah, but I have been doing some research on the vid cards lately. :D At the moment, I'd get the 5770. Fry's even has an MSI on sale this week.

Performance wise, you'll have to go up to an nVidia GTX 250 or so (NOT GTS) to beat that by very much. Those cost a good bit more, and the 5770 supports DX11.

(Wow. I've been buying only nVidia since the Riva 128; even picked 'em over the Voodoos at the time. The fab changes that ATI has made are really working out for them. I can't even solidly put the nVidia drivers over the ATI ones anymore. Hope nVidia gets their act together again soon.)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Anandtech posted a comparison recently. Based on that and the prices, I'd _probably_ get an i5-750 or thereabouts. Don't think there's a clear no-brainer at this point; it depends on how much price premium you're willing to pay for performance.

Link to middle of article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds ... reviewed/9