Minecraft

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

TimberWolf
Inmate

Minecraft

Post by TimberWolf »

A flash based game currently in Alpha stage being made by an Indy developer. You can play Single Player Survival or Single and Multi-player Creative modes online for free. If you pay you can download the game and play it full screen and online with no restrictions. Its a really simple and basic game but just playing around and building things in the creative mode is fun. The world is randomly generated each time. You can dig into the ground a good ways or build up into the sky just as far. I've created an account so I can save my game in the creative mode.

Give it a try at: http://www.minecraft.net/
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

It's interesting... Not too sure the goal tho. I did manage to lose over an hour to it, however. So it can't be all bad.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Its a sandbox game. In the current builds there really isn't much in them. IN the creative build you just build to your hearts content. Right now I'm in the process of building multi-story buildings and getting a city constructed. I've also gone building in the caves, making huge rooms and complex mazes of rooms only to have them flooded when I accidentally hit water.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

woah, it's way too easy to waste time with this.....

example:
What's currently constructed has hallways, stairs, etc.... (not the best vantage point, the left wall goes back quite a ways where another tower is under construction.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I've built one building with 3 floors above ground and 3 more under ground:

As I was clearing the land around it I found something out. It was two levels below water level, and thus I flooded it when I hit the shore line near by. Since I didn't save after completing the building, I had to rebuild that last floor and roof before continuing. I didn't put the same style windows in this time.

I then went to the near by corner and have started building a small castle.

The castle is 3 levels higher than the other building. I have already constructed 3 basements and a second floor. Another cool thing is they are connected via a tunnel on the 3rd sub floor. There is only one level difference between the two basements. Think it's going well so far. Even started building a pool behind the first building.

I'm taking extra caution as I build underground. I setup bulk heads once in a while just in case I hit water again.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

ok, I started over and went completely hogwild... I picked a hill and fortified it. The wall has only one gate and I'm considering adding some towers that go up an extra story at the corners. What I'm currently working on is hollowing out the hill into various rooms. I do have a stair that exits on the top of the hill where you can view the flowers that were automatically generated there. I may build an observation tower or maybe a keep on top, but I'm not sure which just yet. Finally I've tunneled 3 stories down (each story is 4 blocks + roof & floor), but I'm not sure what to do in the dungeon... but the first sublevel consists of natural caverns (as in I didn't build them) and I am trying to find a way to clean them up without squaring them off too much.

Here's the sky view: (forgot to mention that I put a safety rail around the top of the hill :D)

I can post pics of the gardens & interior if anyone is interested. i.e. bored enough to view. :-P
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Well, I did some expanding and some experimenting. I added a tower off to the side of my castle and dug down and connected it to my under ground network. I also attached it via a small bridge to the castle. I will note that it was built from the bottom up then the bottom was dug out. There is no water inside it. I also built a log cabin next to my main building, nothing else for it. I then decided I wanted a fountain to go along with my sidewalk. Here an interesting result was discovered.

Up until this time any time I linked to water all I got was massive flooding. But this time when I dug my tunnel and linked it to a major body of water I got something I didn't expect. The water only went as high as the entrance of the connecting tunnel. This was bad meaning I would have to have a shallow line connecting the fountain to a source of water just to be able to see it from the surface. So I made the modifications and it looks more like a pool now. I also took it a step further. There are two other connections in that fountain. The first was to a second body of water, thinking that pressure was a problem earlier but that thinking doesn't apply to games very well. The second was to my main building, creating a well at the base of the stairs where I have quick access to my tunnel system.

I've also modified two natural walls to make them appear more like walls along with an under water tunnel that connects to the body of water that surrounds. I'll add that to my new underwater tunnel system later. I spend most of my time digging out areas to continue building now as I want to be relatively level across the board. I need to go back through the buildings and actually do something with their interiors. Right now their just big open spaces.

My Domain:

The Town Fountain and Walkway:

Well at the base of the stairs in the main building:

Closer look at my castle from the modified natural walls:
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Impressive. I don't think I have the patience to build all that...
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

I have been messing with this, it is a lot of fun. I think I am going to try and setup a server heh.
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

I decided to purchase the game, the /indev version is pretty cool. There is crafting and farming and hostile mobs only spawn in caves. Mining and caves get darker the farther away from light they are, you have to use torches on the walls to light your way.

/indev

Starting a huge castle, standing on top of a max height tower on the corner. You can see a farm top left of the castle.

/singleplayer

Has a castle and a couple towers, created a boat on the right and you can get from the castle to the beach tower underground.

You can load it and walk around with this link, http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?user=Gryphon&id=0

Image[/b]
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

I setup a couple of servers, http://www.alliedtribalforces.com/gminecraft.php

I'll be messing with the servers some more as I find out more about them.

Listed server:

There are a couple of random guys on the Listed server that I made admin. It has a spawn jail too keep griefers out, just tell em you know Gryphon and they will let you in.

If you let me know your names I can add you as admin so you can get out of the jail, kick, ban as needed.

Unlisted server:

The unlisted server is not on the public server list, finding the URL is the only way to access the server, shouldn't need a spawn jail.

Thought maybe we could make the unlisted server clean, nothing too crazy, just like a medieval town or something.
Last edited by Gryphon on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Gryphon wrote:Thought maybe we could make the unlisted server clean, nothing too crazy, just like a medieval town or something.
"Bring out yer dead!"
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

Here is the latest shot of the server, http://www.alliedtribalforces.com/showt ... #post62181 :D
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Looks like some big things are under construction. Is this the Alpha build that you pay for? Are the areas along the water way explored by someone in a boat or did someone walk all that way? One thing I can see as a cheat is that the map shows the cross sectional area on the edges to reveal caves and dungeons. Over all, do you still think the game is worth it? What has been made so far? Looks like some people have begun to manipulate lava. Have they started to create machines that produce cobble stone or other blocks?