Yet another distraction... my 1st boat.

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

Yet another distraction... my 1st boat.

Post by BlackRider »

Pics to come when I take delivery, but I won a 1970 O'Day 17' Daysailer at auction. It'll take quite a bit of cleaning and maybe a repainting, but at $400 for a boat & trailer I feel it was worth it. In all honesty I wasn't expecting to win it. In decent shape it's worth $1200-1500, but I don't find out if it was worth what I paid until Thursday... though if it floats, I'm happy.

Now for something I should have considered before I even started bidding... I don't have the slightest clue how to run a sailboat. There's no motor... though if all else fails, it does have oars. Maybe it's time to find a good book AND someone with some experience.

Anybody know how to work a sailboat? :roll:
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You never fail to surprise me with the things you get into... I don't have much (Read: any) experience on a sail boat, but a friend of mine does, learned to sail on Lake Superior, actually. Dunno how much help that is.. Maybe there's a local sailing club?
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

I'm Trouble (<-- w/ a capital T :twisted: ). I found a nice book with plenty of pictures and LOTS of drills that I can do before I even put it in the water. Maybe that will help before I throw it in a lake and see how it floats. ;)
XMEN_Hammer
Inmate

Post by XMEN_Hammer »

Used to sail as a kid all the time. Trust me its no big deal, will take you no time to figure it out. Tacking will take a bit of practice but still simple. Just point the boat slightly into the wind at say 15 degrees into the wind and jog back and forth.
Proud member ot the Soup Clan
Proud Member of the XMEN Clan
Proud Member of the Dragon Talon Mercenaries
If you run, you will only die tired.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I'd recommend finding a friend. If you don't know what you're doing and wind or current starts pushing you the wrong way, what do you do?
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Turn into the wind, drop sail..... and dig out the oars. :-P

Actually I found someone who knows sailing and there's a local sailboat dealer that I'm going to see tomorrow to get all my sailboat questions answered. ;) (I have lots of maintenance questions.)

Oh, and since it was raining when we got home and the boat needs LOTS AND LOTS of cleaning, I'll get pics up tomorrow.
X Rogue
Inmate

Post by X Rogue »

I only know 2 things about sailboats.

1. Take along lifejackets for all on board.

2. A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which you pour money.

That said, good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your boat. :D
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

X Rogue wrote:2. A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which you pour money.
This one's fiberglass, so maybe there'll be less money pouring. Though I'm already out to have many of the lines replaced before I drop it in the water. (shrouds are fraying along with the main halyard) <-- LOOK! I'm learning nautical stuff! :shock:

It rained again today, pics in the morning. :-/ Tomorrow's going to be all about removing the rest of the leaves and debris from sitting for 2 years under a tree, and then a VERY good wash.
X Rogue
Inmate

Post by X Rogue »

ok, ok, fiberglass. ;)