I need a new mobo!

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Starmage21
Inmate

I need a new mobo!

Post by Starmage21 »

The trick is finding one that fits all my specs, because I built what I have around around an ASRock P43Twins1600 which I have found out is a total piece of crap!

Ive got a Core2Quad LGA775 socket,

2 sets of 4GB DDR3. One runs at 1.5V and the other at 1.8V. Timing, however, is identical.

GeForce GTX280 with PCIE x16 2.0 interface.

ATX Form Factor.

I can find boards easily, but what I need help with is finding one thats going to support 2 sets of DDR3 running at different voltages. If there is such a thing at all, I dont even know. Felt it best to ask :D
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Err, dunno. I'd probably hit newegg first, then a mobo review site.
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

does it really matter on the ram voltage? Can't you just set that in the bios. I thought ram was supposed to self adjust to the lowest speed/voltage installed anyway.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Right, but he wants to try to run it at different voltages... I don't think there's a mobo out there that will do that/ I'd either upgrade the RAM to matched brands / voltages, or just run at the lower voltages and timings.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I tend to agree, since RAM doesn't cost that much right now. It's DDR3 though.
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

Right, I wanted DIFFERENT voltages, and that meant at best there would be a specialty motherboard out there. Otherwise, youre really not supposed to mix it.
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

I have not seen a mobo that allows different speeds on it. But it seems to me that that would be software driven. Try looking for a bios that allows it.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Jester wrote:I have not seen a mobo that allows different speeds on it. But it seems to me that that would be software driven. Try looking for a bios that allows it.
Not speeds. Voltages. :)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Well, you could always take a quality piece of hardware and modify it. Granted, you'll likely end up ruining whatever hardware you start with. But with some practice, you'll do fine. :D

Could it be something where you sell one of the sets of memory and go with a board that suits the other set?

I've never heard of a motherboard that will do what you are asking. I've heard of other hardware, but that stuff won't help you here.

Sorry. :(
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

XMEN Ashaman DTM wrote:Well, you could always take a quality piece of hardware and modify it. Granted, you'll likely end up ruining whatever hardware you start with. But with some practice, you'll do fine. :D

Could it be something where you sell one of the sets of memory and go with a board that suits the other set?

I've never heard of a motherboard that will do what you are asking. I've heard of other hardware, but that stuff won't help you here.

Sorry. :(
Appreciate it. I'll probobly hold onto my Kingston ValueRAM and stick it in my woman's machine when she upgrades because she refuses to use any other brand. Then use my OCZ Platinum in my new board.

Also, you can get other BIOS firmware for your mobos?! Who writes this stuff, and where can you get it? I always thought you were stuck with whatever came with your mobo unless you wrote one yourself.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You can upgrade your firmware depending on your model, etc. from the mainboard manufacturer. You COULD try to write your own, but it's not something I would personally try to do. Generally you wouldn't be able to overwrie a phoenix BIOS with another brand.. Do some searching online.. You might get lucky, and someone else might have written one for you. :D
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Doesn't much matter what the BIOS says if the board itself doesn't have the capability. And if the board has the capability then the BIOS has probably already been modified to use it. Mobo vendors absolutely love to have more feature boxes to check off than the competition.