System took a hit.....

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

TimberWolf
Inmate

System took a hit.....

Post by TimberWolf »

.... from the printer.

I have a HP All-in-one printer and since I built my current main system have had one problem between the two. Nearly every time I shut down the printer I crashes the computer. Well, after nearly 3 years of this the printer finally did some damage and has effectively disabled my system. I have been working on burning all of my data to disk.

What happened was this: I had the system shutting down for the night and it was at the point that it said windows was shutting down. I have turned the printer off at this time before with no problems. This time there was one. It corrupted something dealing with my wireless card. I have tried reinstalling the drivers for it as well as the program that operates it with the problem still being there.

This problem has effectively disabled my ability to get on the internet using that system. Because of this I have also lost my network connection and can't transfer my files to my old desktop, which I'm currently operating from. What ticked me off the most is I had just pulled along day at work and was looking forward to relaxing but ended up spending until midnight working on backing up files which I haven't finished (because I have no means of transferring them by network). I have also been working over time at work and haven't had much sleep.

My old desktop, which I'm operating from, is also in dire need of being reloaded but the hardware is so out dated that I can't even find some of the critical drivers. So I'm forced to simply replace the system. I have asked my brother to help me on this part as its a low priority system ment mostly for entertainment purposses.

Just one more day to end this hell week, which wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have this computer problem. My system needed to be reloaded, just wish it was more by my schedule.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Sorry to hear about your rough week. :(

Suggestion - get a crossover ethernet cable. Then your two computers can talk to each other if you just hook them up together and set the IP address manually at each end.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I have finished burning things to disk. Currently working on reformatting the hard drive. I have also begun looking into building a replacement to my old computer with the purpose of being the center of entertainment. At least now I have a backup of my data in case of a system crash in the future.

Got my first paycheck yesterday but plan on buying a couch first before putting much into electronics. Need a good place to lay down after work.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You can build a reasonable Home Entertainment PC for a fair price.. But a couch is always something nice to have.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I went my entire senior year of college (and the next several months) without a mattress, but not without a computer. Where are your priorities, man? ;)
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I have a bed for myself. The sleeper sofa is for my guests that visit me. Its a long term investment. Also this will be the only month where I have so much money at my disposal as starting next month I start paying off my college loans.

I'm posting from the renewed system right now. Got all the basics and all the data I backed up installed again. Just now realized what I didn't back up, such as my Diablo 2 characters and about a quarter of the pictures I had taken from the internet. But in general I have all the important things still.

Gave myself a scare though. Was installing Windows when it asked for the Product key. Thought nothing of it and looked through the packet of stuff I kept with the system for it only to find it wasn't there. Searched about 30 minutes through all the places I have computer software and documents stored to find it in a place full of outdated software books.

Well, need to decide what games to install this time around. If I get X3 Terran Conflict then I wont install X3 Reunion again. But that might be a while. As for the printer that caused the problem. I will attach it to my laptop and set it up as a network printer there so it will never touch this computer again.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You must have a Student copy of your OS? why wouldn't the sticker be attached to the case? Just a thought. I'd spring for the PC myself, then find a cheap or free couch on craigslist...
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I have two different OS"s and the one I use on this computer isn't a student copy. What I have on the other desktop is a student copy. I do use the student copy of office on both machines.

As for why I'm putting the money into the couch is because its already sitting in the clearance bin and is of a discontinued line so I can't see it getting much cheaper. Also by having this sleeper/sofa it makes it easier for family and friends to visit me. Building a second computer is a low priority as compared to making my apartment feel more like home and relaxing to me. Also computer parts are getting cheaper and cheaper as I wait, don't see the same trend in couches.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

TimberWolf wrote: Also computer parts are getting cheaper and cheaper as I wait, don't see the same trend in couches.

True 'nuff. It's your place, you gotta make it home for you.