Laptops!

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Laptops!

Post by Spinning Hat »

SO - I've been given the green light to procure a laptop for myself, in anticipation of going to Oklahoma City in the next couple months for 17 weeks... (Gotta Love training 1100 miles away from home..)

I've been looking at the HP HDX16t series notebooks, and have owned HP before. Very capable, fairly rugged, and work well. I'm having a hell of a time finding the saved configuration I'm considering, But it's basically the Core2 Duo @ 2.16Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Vista Premium 64bit, Lightscribe BD-ROM, DVD/CDRW Supermulti drive, 512Mb Graphics, and the 320Gb 7200RPM HDD. Non backlight keyboard, 16 in screen,. etc. Without the "included" security and MS Office 2k7 suites.

The hard cap on the budget is about $1400. (The above is $1394 and I added the Targus Messenger bag to it too. :D) If there's something that warrants going a little over, I may be able to get it approved. :D It's major use will be Email, etc. with some Gaming and movies thrown in there for good measure. (Mostly Wow to be played on it, but one never knows..)

So: Your challenge if you choose to accept it, is to recommend systems that you all use / covet so I can make this decision soon, before the wife changes her mind!
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Nope. Looks sweet to me. :) What's the battery life like?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Here are the complete specs:

HP HDX16t Premium Series customizable
Notebook PC
• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service
Pack 1 (64-bit)
• Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz)
• FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
from 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP
ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
• 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView
Infinity Display (1366x768)
• Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW
Double Layer
• Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish
(Fluid)
• Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
• No TV Tuner w/remote control
• HP Color Matching Keyboard
• 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

The battery is an upgrade from the standard 6 Cell. while portability is a good thing, I bet I'll still get maybe 3 hours on a charge, so at least long enough to watch a movie on a flight or something. I ordered it today, after looking at Lenovo, Toshiba, Gateway and Dell... Nothing really compares in the price / performance category like the HP. I may be a little biased though, I've had an HP notebook before and loved it, and the wife has one for work and she loves hers.. hell, I really like hers, but It's a business machine that really couldn't handle major multimedia use..

I ordered the think today (3/31) and I'll post pics when I get it. The "fluid" design on the cover is interesting, I just wish there was other options...
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

That looks pretty sweet. :D
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I am definitely excited. :D