Mmmmm.... grapes!

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

XMENPorsche
Inmate

Mmmmm.... grapes!

Post by XMENPorsche »

Set up a studio in my garage the other night and played around with some concepts that have been running through my mind.

This one was kind of fun....

Here's the lighting setup....
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

nice! I wish I had the space/money to start playing with some studio work... but this stupid college thing just keeps taking it all!
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

Actually, it was done in my garage. I just pulled both cars out, cleaned the floor, and set up the background and lights.

From a money standpoint, it's taken me a couple of years to get all of that stuff.

Background stands - $100
9' wide, 25' long white seamless background paper - $40
Nikon SB-800 flash units (x2) - $325/ea
Pocket Wizards (x3) - $190/ea
Umbrellas (x3) - $30/ea
Light stands (x3) - $50-70/ea
Norman ML400R Strobe - $750
Total - $2410

Sounds like a lot, but if you spread it out over 2-3 years it's not that bad.

Next on the list....
5' Octobox - $400 - incredibly soft lighting
Speed ring - $60 - allows octobox to mount to Norman strobe

The thing is, I'm not in a big hurry with all of this stuff. I pick up the pieces along the way and put them to use when I have everything I need. I've had the Norman light for a year but this is the first chance I've had to use it.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

but you have to keep in mind that I'm still in school (and real close to dropping out again... for good this time, but that's for another topic) All my summer money barely covers rent & car payments. In the past 6 months all I've spent on photo related stuff is a few rolls of film and a flash... and the flash was WAY out of budget.

Back on topic... studio lighting really looks like a lot of fun, and my only critique would be that her hand is overexposed... oh, and esp. for a shoulder-up shot... maybe a different b/g color? a soft blue or green so that you don't conflict with the light skin, dark hair, and yellow/green grapes... actually, I'm not sure what color would look best... now I'm thinking maybe a yellow/orange or amber color. :?

TBH, I actually like it as it is... I'm just struggling to think of a way to make it better.