Couple of random shots..

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Couple of random shots..

Post by Spinning Hat »

Posted here for you to critique and enjoy. The first two were taken downtown Minneapolis, and the 3rd was in my front yard as a storm was building overhead and this one I tried my hand at some pp in paint shop for the first time. Lemme know what you think. :D

Nikon D40 18-55mm @38mm, f/13, ISO 200
Nikon D40 18-55mm @55mm, f/10, ISO 200
Nikon D40 18-55mm @35mm, f/4.8, ISO 800
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Nobody has anything to say? hell, even if they suck you can tell me...
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Well, they don't suck! I guess they just don't strike me as striking. :)

I like the first one best. The only technical problem I see is the third one needs a levels (or maybe curves) and white balance adjustment.

The buildings would have done will in BR's "reflections" assignment. What is the building being reflected in each?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

The building is the old Northwest bank building, but I'm not sure who owns it now. It's a pretty prominent feature in the Minneapolis Skyline, and looks pretty neat lit up at night. The first two images were straight out of the camera, and were simply resized. I've been trying to get better with the correct exposure the first time, so I don't have to spend hours and hours in pp. Those were taken mid to late day, so the lighting wasn't exactly the best, but it could have been worse I guess.
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

I like the first two, but like Gambino said, they need some color tweaking to deepen the saturation. On the second one I would probably try a tighter crop to eliminate the tree and sky. Without those elements I think it would be a pretty cool abstract shot.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Ok, so I played with them both, and don't know if this is really enough, or if I should have tweaked the saturation more, so let me know what you think:

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

The tighter crop sure makes a huge difference in the look of the photo.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Thanks. After looking at both side by side, I really like the tighter crop. Minneapolis has a great skyline, and there's tons of stuff to shoot downtown.. Think I'll have to try to head back down on some nice Sunday when no one is around down there...