4X Fans, have a look at Sword of the Stars

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I recently bought this game (SotS) during the Direct2Drive $5 sale. I must say I'm enjoying it quite a bit now. Not sure if my problem before was just the demo's limitations or a different mindset. But Bug liked it so well I figured I'd give it another chance, so I'm glad he did. Dunno if I will get the expansion(s) or not but I've not nearly exhausted the base game yet.

Can't believe it's been 3 years. Ah well.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

That game has sucked away a LOT of my time over the past year. Boy is it fun when you get going.

The battles can be a bit tedious, but my preferred tactic was to go in with dreadnaughts with LOTS of carrier support. And having a good mix of fighters and bombers was useful too.

I've played through a couple of times, and I have to say that the things I don't like are not trivial:

You can get to the top of the tech tree and it's kind of like you wonder what the point of continuing is after topping out on the tech.

Being able to train your crews only so much before it's not possible to get more experience through training. This was only annoying because once you get ridiculous incomes going, you get the mindset of just being able to buy anything in the game.

The AI could be easily baited with some tactics during battles. It became mundane to pick off enemy planets that only had fighter/bomber defenses.

The interface could be cumbersome at times, but once you get used to it, it's workable. I'm talking about managing planets and fleets with this one.

I still have to say that it was very fun to play. Bombarding planets from orbit to raze every structure and living thing on it was always fun to set in motion. And even though the fleet and planet management is cumbersome, it's hard to see how something better could be done.