New PC build

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

New PC build

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Sooo... it's time. Current system has been around for a while and getting a little pokey here and there. Disk access, particularly. Here's what I'm putting together:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KFGWNN

Ryzen 1700x CPU, water-cooler, AMD RX580 8GB graphics, and a 960 EVO M2 SSD for my main drive. I'll have another for the bulky files. All in a shiny red case. I may get to learn a lot fiddling with this since so much of it is new-ish tech.
Last edited by XMEN Gambit on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Very cool. That looks like a nice build.

I've always liked the look of NZXT cases.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've got most of it in or ordered now. The case... is _really_ nice. Comes with three fans, lots of nice features. It was $90, but easily worth the difference from a boring $50 case. Case in point - lots of holes for standoffs for the mobo - not that unusual. But they're labeled and numbered by mobo size so you don't waste time trying to figure out which ones to use or how many. I like this new trend of having the area under the CPU open so you can install the mobo, THEN attach the cooler. Also the trend with having the cables shoved into the area under/behind the mobo, and the internal drives at right angles, so all those cables are out of sight and out of the airflow. Other things too. Obviously I like it a lot. :)

I've made a few changes to the list due to price fluctuations. I'll post an updated list when everything's final. The big question now is graphics. I may put off buying a GPU and import my current 1050 until the crypto-mining inflation backs off a bit, don't know. It's enough for what I play these days; it's the hard drive that is my noticeable performance bottleneck.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I had to make a few modifications. Barring part failure (or an awesome black Friday/CyberMonday special?), this is the actual build & costs as everything has been at least purchased.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/X_Gambit/ ... iew=mNQKZL

Most of the parts are sourced from Newegg. Got the case from SuperBiiz, the storage from MicroCenter (great deal on the 960 EVO!)

Most notable update between this and the planned build: I upgraded to a Vega56 vid card. The cryptocurrency miners drove the prices up so much on the cards I'd normally buy that it seemed worthwhile. Since the Vega56 is supposed to be really good for mining, maybe I'll make up the price difference mining some Etherium. :) Also - this is an AMD reference board, and according to some stuff I've found, you're supposed to be able to flash the BIOS with the Vega64 version which removes some clock and voltage limitations, then overclock to get really good performance, while UNDERvolting to manage its heat and power consumption. Don't know if I'll do all that but nice to have the options.

Other change was that RAM is also getting kind of high. I ended up grabbing a special on some DDR3000 instead of the DDR3200 I wanted, but there was a $50 (25%) price difference. Ryzens apparently really like the the high-frequency RAM, but I probably won't be able to tell the difference. Also it appears there may be some room to O/C that RAM too. ...