PC won't boot up.

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

PC won't boot up.

Post by Sharpster »

I'm stumped. And looking for suggestions.

Yesterday evening I was playing a game and my machine abruptly shut off and I saw a quick flash of light, and got a little shock to my neck. The shock was from where my headphone wire attached into the cans I guess. So I turned off the PSU by the switch on the back and unplugged the machine. I opened it up and looked around, nothing seemed out of order or anything (Capacitors on mobo weren't swelled, no smell out of the ordinary like something was burnt).

So this evening I went and bought another power supply thinking that's what went up. I swapped out the PSU, and when I plugged it all in and went to flip the switch on for the PSU a shock jumped from the side of my case to my hand. Didn't really instill hope, but I turned the PSU on and pressed the power button and nothing happened. (At this point I'll mention that with both power supply's my keyboard lit up when I plugged it in even tho the PC wasn't booted up). So then I swapped out my video card for an extra I had lying around to see if maybe that was the issue. No luck there either.

So at this point. It sounds like maybe the mobo is fried? I'm also curious as to why my case is electrified. I didn't notice any part that shouldn't be touching the case. Anybody have a suggestion or know something else I should try before buying another board?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I know it's a late response, but yes. I'd say fried mobo and probably it is shorting to the case too.