Anyone thought of going the clevo/sager route for a laptop?

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Anyone thought of going the clevo/sager route for a laptop?

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Looking to get a new one. They're very upgradeable from what I can gather. My current one is just over 7 years old... and the video card has died twice, but I was able to reflow the solder both times.

I've looked at Dell/alienware, msi, asus, clevo (sager), and anything else that can be considered a 17 inch gaming laptop. I was going asus until I saw that sager laptops have the ability to customize heavily, and upgrade if necessary. Money is sort of an object... I'm going into this mentally amortizing the cost over 5 years, and trying to stay below $1500.

I'm kind of at the point where I'm going to pull the handle on the buy... just looking for second opinions to see if I've missed anything.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I haven't even heard of that brand of laptop... I am kind of starting to get into the market for a new Laptop, as I am going back to school in the spring. Definitely want something that I can game with but still be useful enough with a numpad for studies in MIS / Project Management.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Well, here's one of the laptops:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7181/euro ... evo-p177sm

The version I'm looking at is on this page:

http://www.powernotebooks.com/Sager-Cus ... at-26.html

(The NP 8275. With more RAM and the AMD video card.)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Damn.. For $1500 that is a damn fine Laptop. that'll play and do most anything you'd want to, that I'm sure.
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

That's the plan... my current one has a GeForce 7600 Go... and it played tribes ascend at 12 fps. Was pretty fun getting an MA with that framerate.

:D

But the next laptop is going to be sort of future proof for a while... as much as laptops can be anyways.

SH: would you pay 1500 for that? it's got the customization/upgradeability factor too. The ASUS and msi laptops I looked at were minimal in that respect (but fairly nice).
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I’m talking about the kind of 17” behemoth notebook that weighs 10 pounds and has a power brick approximately the size and weight of a compact automobile.
Sounds like a monster truck of a laptop. I kind of like it. :)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I'd pay $1500 for something like that, for sure. It's got enough cutting edge stuff to be able to keep it around for a while, but it's not so bleeding edge that you're paying the early adopter premium.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Though, now I've got to wait till the shutdown ends and the debt ceiling thing is figured out. :(