Windows 7

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

Windows 7

Post by Sharpster »

My girlfriend and I have been into Sons of Anarchy (more like hooked on it) I've been running an HDMI cable from my television to my laptop and duplicating my desktop on the external display since I have the episodes on my harddrive.

Finally, after having my copy of Windows 7 sitting next to my laptop for ages, I had a chance to install it last night and upgrade from Windows Vista. Everything went smoothly with the install and I'm very satisfied with the new OS. After upgrading to Windows 7 I can no longer connect to an external display. The drop down menu to choose if you'd like to duplicate or extend the desktop (like the screenshot in the help menu shows) is not there.

I assume that my laptop is not recognizing it has an external display plugged into it. Could this be because I don't have proper drivers for my HDMI port after the upgrade? If so where could I find those? If not, what else does this sound like it could be?
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

start by checking for drivers at the laptop manufacturer's website. though another thing to check is to make sure that the moniter is enabled in the control panel.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

That is a driver feature...get the latest one from the vendor and it should then appear. :)
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I checked on HP's website. My laptop model (HP Pavillion dv9000) doesn't have any drivers for Windows 7, the latest is Vista.

Would checking Nvidea's site for a graphics driver maybe fix this?
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

pretty good chance.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Nvidea's driver works. All systems go. Thanks