Movie X-Men: First Class

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Movie X-Men: First Class

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Just got back from seeing this. I had seen some, not bad, but poor reviews, so wasn't expecting much. I thought it was quite a successful prequel-type film. I agree that it could have been better and there were some weak points, but overall I think it hung together at least as well as the first Singer version. Perhaps better.

James MacAvoy was superb as Professor X. I believe his was easily the strongest performance. Michael Fassbender was Magneto and carried it somewhere between well and competently and we really got a sympathetic look at him. Mystique (Raven) got a lot of screen time and did OK, likewise on her history and with Eric. Kevin Bacon did a pretty good job as the cold, manipulative bad guy Shaw. I liked the times when he was speaking German or Russian (though I was able to catch some pronunciation issues. Not complaining, just amazed that I noticed.). Effects were great. I especially loved watching Banshee fly around screaming.

Cameo (and f-bomb) by Hugh Jackman. Cameo by Rebecca Romijn. Didn't catch Stan's if it was there. Emma (January Jones) is of course running around in lingerie a lot... seems odd even for a movie set in the 60's. :) Several clips of Kennedy or Krushev as the Cuban missile crisis plays an important part. Michael Ironside as a bit part as a fleet admiral - always liked him.

If you're a fan of the X-Men or just some of the movies, it's worth seeing.