The Witcher 2

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

The Witcher 2

Post by XMEN Gambit »

When I bought the original Witcher, I didn't know what it was. It was an impulse buy that looked interesting... different. I didn't know anything about the popular stories from a Polish author about Geralt of Rivia and his world. What I found was similar to Knights of the Old Republic, but with lots more to do. Crafting, bombs, traps, alchemy, and more. Lots of werewolves and zombies and other less familiar monsters. A skill tree that took multiple playthroughs to explore properly. And a pretty good story, even. I'm a sucker for a good story.

So now The Witcher 2 has been released. I liked the first one enough to know that I'd probably get TW2, eventually, but I was in no hurry. However... Good Old Games is associated with the Polish studio (CD Projekt Red) that made the game. And they are offering it sans DRM, and were selling the digital deluxe edition with lots of goodies, and a discount, and a free game from a selection of their catalog. So I got the preorder and downloaded the darn thing. Love to support the anti-DRM movement, y'know. Ah, well.

Seems good so far. The engine has been entirely replaced, and it's obviously a cross-platform game. Haven't got to much development yet so the jury's still out. (Like the first, it's definitely rated "M" though, and I think for every possible category.)
Variable

Post by Variable »

I am about to start my Witchering in mere moments. I will let you know. I loved the first game to excess. I think the eastern european mythology has been my favorite since I was a wee lad playing Sierra adventures that leaned so heavily on them.
Variable

Post by Variable »

Well, the tutorial was immensely frustrating, and the bitter part of me wants to call it "The Quicktime Eventer" or "The Cutscener"...but I just got to the actual game, and it resembles enough of the first that I will carry on.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Variable wrote:Well, the tutorial was immensely frustrating...
Amen. You can skip through some things with a right click, thank goodness. Wonder if they felt like they lost too many to the learning curve in W1? I didn't think it was that bad; you didn't have to learn everything but could quickly tell it was pretty deep.