Motocross shooting last night

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

XMENPorsche
Inmate

Motocross shooting last night

Post by XMENPorsche »

My favorite local MX track had some races last night. I think it's the first time that I've been back out there since my hospital stay in March. I felt pretty rusty and this was about the best I could do.

It was VERY dry and dusty out there last night. I intentionally waited for this shot because I feel that it implies how hot and dusty it was at the track last night.

Also, since the sun was starting to ride low on the horizon I thought it would be neat to try for a few silhouette shots. This was my favorite. I think it's the only time I've ever used 1/8000 on my shutter speed.

I ate some dirt on this one. Actually, IMHO, if you shoot MX and don't get dirty you're doing something wrong.

The rest are just some random captures. Getting these kinds of shots isn't hard if you have the run of the track. I was all OVER that place last night! The last shot is one of my favs.

BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

I see you haven't lost your touch! Both the 1st and the last are very very good!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You definitely haven't lost your touch for shooting MX.. I love the first and last as well, but the shot with the ATV turning away from you and all the dirt flying... great motion capture. I really think that comes in as my solid 3rd place winner.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I like the first one. The treeline and sky seem posterized; how intentional was that and what did you use to make it so?
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

"Posterized"? Not sure what you mean. The image is pretty much straight from the camera except for a VERY slight bump in saturation, RAW - JPEG conversion, and resize.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Ok, wasn't intentional then. The "posterize" effect is basically reducing the color depth (and therefore number of colors) which results in visible banding over large areas with subtle color variation. Therefore the banded sky and funky treeline look made me wonder if it was something intentional or incidental.