Almost forgot, FIREWORKS!!!!

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

Almost forgot, FIREWORKS!!!!

Post by BlackRider »

I didn't really go to a fireworks display... but I saw 19+!

http://www.microsmithinc.com/BlackRider/July4th.jpg

Post what you got!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I got nuttin'. :) Didn't go see the fireworks this year.

Neat shot you got there. Was it hazy/foggy/rainy?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

nice pano BR. :D I went and saw all kinds of fireworks on the 4th, but didn't bring my camera... f/4 is too slow to get any good shots at night... At least without making it look like crap at iso 1600..
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Actually Hat, I've read that F/11 is best for fireworks. I think it might be 3s @ F/11.... Though mine are all 30s @ F/11, so the fireworks are slightly over exposed.

Gambit, it had been raining all day and the rain stopped just long enough for the fireworks displays. So, yes... it was quite hazy. Also, the closest display in the picture was probably 2 miles away and some of the faded ones on the horizon are close to 10 miles away. ;)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hat, you don't take wide open shots of fireworks. They look a lot better with a longer exposure, so you fiddle with your ratios to suit.

Personally, I like to crank my f/stop to max and shoot in bulb mode (on a tripod, of course). That gives you the most control over the shot, IMO, and you can take really long shots of multiple bursts or single explosions or whatever as the mood takes you.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

We've got some more festivals with fireworks coming up, so I'll give it a shot later this summer. Our State Fair has fireworks every night, and I'll have a pretty good seat for them, since they launch in the stadium, and I'll be there for a concert. :D
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Speaking as someone who's shot 'em from almost directly underneath for the past couple years...

You can get some really neat shots of fireworks and sky, provided you have a wide enough lens. However I'm finding that most of the really impressive fireworks picutres have land/water scape and/or buildings in them too, kinda like BR's pano. :)
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

BR - very very cool pano.

Hat - it's not so much about aperture as it is about having a stable platform. IMHO, a tripod is a must.

Here's a tip.... try to include something compelling in the image other than the bursts of fireworks. Again, IMHO, airbursts shot against a black sky are boring after the first one or two. Try to include some sort of landscape feature in the shot, too.

Here are a couple of examples of what I mean. The first image is a couple of years old and the 2nd one was shot a couple of weeks ago.

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Both of those look great. 25 seconds on the second shot? How long was the shutter speed on the first?
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

To be honest, I don't really remember what my shutter was on the first one. I took it over 2 years ago. I usually run a very long shutter when shooting this kind of stuff, though.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

...Too lazy to go back and check his RAW... :roll:

:lol:
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

Not too lazy. I didn't shoot in RAW back then.

However, Bibble allows me to see the EXIF.

Program = shutter priority
Metering = evaluative
Exposuer time = 4 seconds
F stop = 7.1
Focal length = 27mm

/me kicks Gambit in the aperture.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Kick him again! Kick him again!