A few from work the other day

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

A few from work the other day

Post by BlackRider »

It's kinda nice to be able to simply link to my SmugMug. :)

Any hints as to what still needs tweaked? The retail manager wants to buy a few prints for the store. I really like #'s 3, 4, & 8... but not quite sure what else to print.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I'm kind of partial to #5.

Couple of things:

#1 - The colors don't really look deep enough to me. Dunno if that's a levels thing, a saturation thing, or my monitor thing. :) Take it for what it's worth. If you want to play with it, I was looking particularly at #3 and #8.

#2 - Looks like you used a flash on a lot of these flowers. Did you use a diffuser? Or a reflector, or any off-camera lighting? Notice the difference between #1 and #2, which look like a straight on-camera flash, versus #4 and #5 which have a very diffuse lighting, from an angle other than head-on. Most folks will perfer the latter.

Looks like you're getting some of that serious rain up there!
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Why do you like #5? Maybe it's just that I'm to the point that all I see is the flaws in the plant, but #5 is far from my favorite. (Maybe it also hurts #5's case that I am simply bored of non-stop begonias?)

#1 & #2 were (for all intents & purposes) lit exclusively by the flash. It was an ugly day and I just wanted to make the background disappear. So, 1/250s F/22 ISO 100, a bright flash and POOF! a completely black background. I thought it was a neat trick. ;)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

#5... dunno, really. maybe the light, maybe the color & texture of the flower contrasting with that of the leaves.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I like #4. The diffuse background, and the colors all go very well together. I like 5 as well, but the little imperfections in the flower kind of ruin it for me.. (I garden and landscape like crazy here at home) I do like the color of the flower in contrast to the leaves, very nice.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

Gonna agree with Hat here. #4 is probably the best of the bunch because of your management of DOF, plus I like the saturation. Don't get me wrong, they're all pretty good but #4 stands out.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

But does it look like #4 has a orange/yellow color cast to it? I know the flower is supposed to be an orange/yellow color, but the greens don't really look the right green to me. :-\