A Pirate's Life [Comments]

Stories of your exploits - real, embroidered, or just plain made-up.

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

A Pirate's Life [Comments]

Post by Spinning Hat »

Nice start WC.I tried playing X3, but I was bored.. But this story set in the universe is pretty good.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TsN|Wildchild|xmen
Inmate

Post by TsN|Wildchild|xmen »

Thanks Hat... when I originally tried playing X3 it took me a minute to enjoy it. All I wanted to do was get stuff and not pay attention to how things worked. So I decided to go about it a different way and actually play a particular role in the universe, similar to what TW has done.

X3, or any space sim, is not for everyone. I've played Freespace, Freelancer, and a few others that escape me. X3 is the only one that I have played that allows me to do nearly anything I want and still have the unknown factor of what is going to happen next.

Thanks for the comments though. More will be coming. The great part is all of what I wrote, took me less than an hour to play. So everytime I hope in I should have some addition to add to this.

TW any ideas on what I should do would be helpful as I have never played it without the story line.
Kevin 'Wildchild' McIntyre
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I enjoyed reading the story and look forward to more. At this moment I have no suggestions. Just let your experience give you the outline and let your imagination fill in the gaps as you have. I like the fact that your doing it from the perspective of a person living in the universe, bringing cold ships to life with personalities of their crew.
TsN|Wildchild|xmen
Inmate

I was actually asking for ideas about what I should do next as a player. I'm taking your idea and heading to Teladi space to pick off pirates for a while, and any easy Boron that gets too close as per my character's vendetta. I tried to get that free ship in the Xenon sector but OMFG. Right before I got to the gate I had ten pirate ships swarm after me and then a crap load of Xenon to deal with. The pirates followed me through the gate so the Xenon were working them as hard as me, but it looked like an invasion fleet coming out. My entire screen was red and I wasn't even looking at the map just my HUD.

So I just stopepd it at my last save and will begin again from there. I wanted to try to get that fourth ship and head to Teladi space but only have those two right now. That Dolphin is one slow moving junker and I honestly don't think it will make it. But it is a nice grab in the first ten minutes of playing.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

This is what I have been doing:

Started pirating ships in the Pirate sectors, almost all were Boron with some Paranid in there, and selling those ships in Light of Heart. When the Kha'ak took over Hatikvah's Faith I went north through Split territory looking for shields and weapons then over into Teladi to pirate the Boron some more. I picked up the free ship in Family Whi and attempted to get the one in Menelaus' Frontier but was stopped by Boron Capital ships. Continued through their sectors south to the Pirate sectors with some captured ships in tow. Explored most of the Argon core areas looking for weapons and shields for my captures, sold most ships at the shipyard. Attempted to bring all my ships back together at Light of Heart where I had a stockpile of weapons in a stollen ship waiting but the Kha'ak still have Capital ships in Hatikvah's Faith. So at this moment I am Pirating in Atreus' Clouds and arming my ships. Started a Sector Trader in Argon Prime with the idea of him bringing in some extra money.

My Fighter Wing now consists of:
Mamba (Starter)
Buster Sentinel (Found)
Buster Pirate
Falcon
Perseus (One of my first captures)

My idea for myself is to fight my way up in rank and eventually get an Argon Colosses. Then I will roam the universe, never staying in one place long, and only using Universal Traders for regular income besides pirating.
TsN|Wildchild|xmen
Inmate

Who do I not need to kill in order to get the good ships? If I kill Boron the Argon will hate me as well right? Teladi are the only ones I can cope with if I kill anyone?

And the stupid Paranid hate me already and I didn't even do anything to them. They attack me on site as soon as they get into my scanner range. I mean wth? I want to leave as many alone as I can and just focus on one or maybe two groups if possible that way I have resources to buy and sell to others. But my Dolphin I will use as a ST for the time being unless I just sell it right off. It has minimal hull left.

My Ship Wing
Split Mamba (Starter)
Buster Sentinel (Found)
Dolphin (Captured)
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Argon and Boron are allies
Paranid and Split are allies
Teladi are neutral

As long as you kill Borons outside of Argon territory then the Argons will not hate you. Same goes for the Paranid and Split. Basicly, what they don't see doesn't affect them.

This character starts out will little to no relations and already hated by the Boron and Paranid. If you want either one to stop hating you then you will have to avoid killing them while your trying to kill pirates in their sectors (preferably in their boarder sectors). It will take a long time to turn them completely happy with you but after a while you should get it to a point where they will stop shooting first and never asking questions.

I find that the Boron are the quickest to bail, and are more often in frieghters. The Paranid are the hardest to bail but they usually are carrying weapons as weapons dealers. The Paranid are also mostly in fighters even if they are merchents.

No matter what race sector your in they don't like you attacking peacefull merchants. Basicly keep pirating to enemy and pirate sectors. I would suggest Great Trench, Hatikvahs Faith, Hila's Joy, or Emperers Mines as good sectors for pirating either the Boron or Paranid. You can choose to befriend the Paranid which will open up new areas for pirating the Boron and access to more hidden ships but that will take some time. If you really want to play the alliances then befriend either of your current enemies and start attacking their ally.

It all comes down to what do you want to achieve. For me Paranid weapons dealers provide a lot towards my fleet, when they drop something, while the Boron provide the funds through cargo and ships.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

This little tale you've begun to weave here is actually peaking my interest in X3 again.. I may have to give it a second look.... I think you're on to something here WC. ;)
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TsN|Wildchild|xmen
Inmate

Cool Hat. Glad to help.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

If you write another section to your story, I will write another 5 chapters to mine before the School quarter ends. How about it?