Traveler's Wireless

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Ambush Bug
Inmate

Traveler's Wireless

Post by Ambush Bug »

Wireless is one of those things I never got into. That's me being old-school.

My mom, however, is into wireless network access. This is mainly because she travels around the country a lot and makes use of the various Wi-Fi hotspots that RV campsites and truckstops make available to their customers.

Problem is, her laptop does not have a user-serviceable//replaceable antenna, nor does the laptop belonging to my stepdad. This is a problem for the two of them while traveling, as sometimes the built-in antennas aren't strong enough to pick up the wireless signal through the walls of their all-metal travel trailer.

What I am looking for is a device that has the following characteristics:

Strong reception capability

and

Acts like a residential router//gateway in that the two laptops connect to it, while the device itself does the grunt work of connecting to the local hotspot in a wireless fashion. It would be grand if the two laptops could connect to the device without wires as well, but that is not strictly necessary.

and

The device has your basic NAT//firewall functions, preferably with a relatively simple web configuration. Extra security, so long as it's easy to configure would be a plus.

--

I've been looking about, and I've seen various devices billed as 'travel routers' that might fit the bill. However, my inexperience with wireless plus a lot of confusing and mixed terminology is making it quite difficult to even figure out what class of device I want to recommend, let alone what brand.

Note that the device need not be super-compact in size, nor does it actually have to be a full-on 'travel product'. A desktop//wall-mount jobbie will do just fine, if it has the right capabilities.

Further note that the device will be pushing through the walls of an AirStream trailer for reception and transmission. (think: submarine on wheels) Being able to replace the device's antenna with something stronger or perhaps even directional is a big plus.

Anyone have any advice for me about such an electronic beast?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Ooof. I'm really not up to speed on these sorts of things. But I looked up Linksys' travel routers on NewEgg and don't think that's what you want. From the description:
Take your wireless wherever you go with the Wireless-G Travel Router from Linksys. This handy unit plugs directly into the wall outlet eliminating the need for power adapters and cords. Then all you have to do is plug in the Ethernet cable from your hotel room and you're good to go.
In other words, it is a regular wireless router that is configured for easy packing. Phooey.

Sounds like what you want is a repeater, with an external antenna connection so you can stick a high-gain antenna out the window, or whatever.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

What Gambino said sounds right.

Remember that the more gain on the antenna, the better your reception will be.

This page might also be useful: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... na&x=0&y=0

Beyond that, just make sure the connectors are compatible. :D