NFS: Pro Street

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

ATF Ravok
Inmate

NFS: Pro Street

Post by ATF Ravok »

This game looks like a really great racing game. NFS has constantly improved its very good and sound physics engine with true excellence in programming, and this game looks to be a very good graphics/physics engine racing game.

I think I can recommend it without even playing it. I am going to buy this one.

"Your link to missing links."
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

if you want to see a racing game with and excellent physics engine, check out www.liveforspeed.net

I was a big fan of NFS back in the '90s, but once I got into sims... there was no going back. ;) (Although I am still a big fan of the Project Gotham series for xbox.) Though, in defense of the NFS games, I haven't played anything but demos of NFS games since '00.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

NFS doesn't model damage, which fits in with he type of "arcade" audience they;'re aimed at, but the sense of speed you get from the NFS series is unreal. I love that aspect, and the customization of the cars without getting super technical and sim-like. Now, if you're looking for a Gran Turismo experience on the Xbox, Forza Motorsport 2 is your game. Excellent graphics, damage modelling, lifelike physics, huge customization options, and sim-like setup options as well, down to tire pressure and the whole 9 yards. The racing is top notch, and you can customize your difficulty asettings as well. Want ABS but no TCS with medium AI? You got it. Want all Driving aids off with insane Ai? You got that too. And they're;s an option that shows you the optimum driving line if you're new to a track, and don't want to do 40 laps before you go aha! Forza is on the christmas list now for sure, because I had to re-rent it 3 times, then the wife made me bring it back... :(
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Spinning Hat wrote:...because I had to re-rent it 3 times, then the wife made me bring it back... :(
ROFL!
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Yes, I've played Forza... good arcade game. :wink:

My problem with Forza has always been that it is much better as an arcade game than a sim... yet it claims to be a sim. So, even though I play it at the hardest difficulty (most realistic), I still treat it like an arcade game (i.e. use guard rails and other cars as cornering aids) because it is more fun that way than as a sim (a.i. is still quite oblivious to the player's car and online isn't much better). So basically I'd play Forza for big crashes, making stupid fast cars that are impossible to drive, and painting & bodywork... then I go play LFS.

oops... gotta go to class :D
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Have you played Forza 2 BR? It's still possible to build crazy fast cars that are impossible to drive. But the AI on the hardest setting is something else. I've spun Ai cars out, and later in the race, they're right there, bumping and grinding, and they've spun me out a time or two. You may want to check the 2nd iteration out. And as for online - I haven't done that yet, still wrestling over the idea of buying a subscription to Xbox Live. But I would imagine any human opponent will be better than an Ai opponent any day.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Yep played Forza 2 as well. ...built an 800hp Porsche 914 :shock: I could win almost any race with that thing... and simply detune it for the hp limited races. And, yes... the AI is still box-of-rocks dumb IMO. (Though it is better than anything else I've seen on the console side of racing... except maybe for that F1 game for PS3.) I guess my biggest problem with any xbox racer is the lack of a decent wheel... and for Forza it would be really nice if you could qualify... and thus get in a few practice laps before each race. IDK... but we're getting quite OT. ;)

The graphics do look really nice... a demo might be worthwhile.