World in Conflict

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkKnife
Inmate

World in Conflict

Post by DarkKnife »

I d/l the demo the other night and let me just say that I am impressed. Even for just a demo I can see this will be a definate buy when I can scrape up the cash for it (and convince the wife).
For those of you who havnt seen this game it is a RTS that pits the Americans vs. Soviets vs. NATO (the last will be in the full version). Now looking at the weaponry I cannot tell if it takes place in an alternate 80's or today (If the soviets came to power again). Game play consists of a map with two thin bands on opposite sides where you can airdrop reinforcements. You funds come in the form of a gradually trickling credit system that will give you a max of say 8000 creds between cash and active units. Soo you can max out your units pretty quickly, unless your like me and get them killed a lot. In multiplayer you have the two teams composed of 8 (or less) players. Each player, per map, can opt to be; Support, artillary & antiaircraft; Air, Helicopters; Armor, tanks and heavy transports; Infantry, inf, anti tank, sniper, light troop transport veh. Though when you choose one class you can buy other limited veh from other classes.
The real strength comes when you kill nmy units you get what are called Command Points. CP's can be used to buy small units, various airstrikes, artillary strikes etc. The more CP's it costs the more potential for damage. Also it takes upwards of 25 seconds for the strikes to actually occur so youve got to guesstimate where a moving target is gonna be. Though when you call in a fuel air bomb, or tactical nuke (85CP's) there is not much the nmy can do but die.
Each unit has special offensive and defensive abilities. From heat rounds, tow missles, or incendary rounds to smoke screens, flares, and inf getting the ability to take cover in forests or buildings. Learning how to use these are quite simply the reason your units will survive on the battlefield.
Add in a viscous fog of war and you get a really good game.
Few problems I noticed are like most multiplayer. It is easy to slip into an every man for himself attitude and go charging off to kill or be killed. I would like to have seen some sort of bonus for teamwork maybe CPs for repairing another's tank or actually giving someone assistance when they ask for it. There is no bonus for teamplay other than being better off and most players quite simply cannot see that far ahead. Im not sure but I think the Russians are more powerful than the Americans but this could be the teamplay issue all over again. Plus the CP system really discourages people from congregating in case of a good airstrike or the such. Pluses and minuses.