StarCraft 2

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

StarCraft 2

Post by Spinning Hat »

Watched the Cinematic trailer, and I have to say, it could be pretty exciting.. They have some early screens and such over at http://www.starcraft2.com so check it out.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

Saw :D

cant wait

no time for more words
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Saw some of the in game videos. Looks great but I don't like that they got rid of the Carriers for the Protoss. I would have to learn more about the new units and all the abilities before I can really say that I will get it or not. But at this moment I am liking it.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I never got a change to play the first games, but I trust thet Blizzard will bring back the best of the old and have a good mix of the new. I saw the sitte on the WoW site, so I figure it's still pretty early in development, and it'll be at least a year before we see the game hit shelves.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I have many game days played on the first Starcraft. It was so well balanced that my friend and me knew how many of each unit it took to take out another. For example, it takes about 9 Zerglings to kill 1 Marine or 9 marines to kill 1 Zelot. That doesn't sound balanced at first but their production times balances it. For each egg used to produce a Zergling, 3 come out meaning in less time it takes to make 1 Marine more than 3 Zerglings can be made. Each Zerg Hive has three larva outside of them which is their only source of new units. The Hives produce them slowly so most players will build 3 or more hives close to each other to increase production. The Zelot takes forever to produce since its the strongest of its class.

Terrans have the ability for some of their buildings to fly, but in flight they can't produce anything. They are well rounded in everything, defense and offense. The Zerg are limited to building on creep which is produced by their buildings and cover only a fair radius around the hive and creep colonies. Their food stock is also their transports. Most of their troops can hide underground which saves them from detection from most units and from area effect weapons. The Protoss, my personal favorite, have the strongest units but slowest construction times. They also have the downside of not being able to repair anything, but they do have shields that regenerate. Just like the Zerg, they can only build within a certain radius of special buildings. They also have a defense structure thats good for both air and ground defense, unlike the other two who have separate structures for them. The down side is that a combined attack of air and ground can allow enemies to break through.

There is also a story behind all of this and the short of it all is this: the Terrans started off as a separatist colony from Earth that developed into an empire. The Protoss are an ancient and advance race thats lived in that region for centuries, or more. The Zerg have recently entered the area as well. The Terrans begin attacking the Protoss to claim their land and their technology. The Zerg barg in and began invading everything. End of the Original Starcraft. The Expansion brought in the Terran Federation (humans from earth, same units) and a splintered Zerg hive and new units. The Zerg end up under the control of a possessed Human, Protoss loose their home world to them, and the Terrans get their butts handed back to them. There ends the expansion basicly.

Hope that answers any questions you may or may not have had about Starcraft 1.