Age of Empires 3

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

TimberWolf
Inmate

Age of Empires 3

Post by TimberWolf »

I recieved this game for Christmas and have been playing it when ever I can. It has been a long time since I last got into a RTS game but this one holds true to its roots while adding more depth.

The biggest difference is the creation of a Home Town that can aid you through a deck of cards in your games. Each deck can only consist of 20 cards, even though you can unlock much more. If you design your deck right to work with your strategy then it can turn the tide of battle.

For instance, while playing the Demo I had been over runned by the enemy and lost my town. I was able to start building on a small island but there were not enough resources to fight back. One of the cards I played was for a Factory which can produce any thing, wood, food, coin, or even heavy cannons. With the Factory and Gallions (I think) I was able to rebuild an army and launch an invasion which devistated their economy. I then used other cards to bring in even more supplies to allow me to continue solder production during the battles.

Another nice addition to the game are Trading Stations that can bring in wood, food, coin, or points towards using the next card. In prior AoE it wasn't the best to over stretch yourself but in this one you have to. Those Trading Stations can turn the tides of battle through their economic benefits. At least for my style of play, I will send my explorer out to make as many Trading Stations as possible without getting to close to the enemy. The traders also act as an explorer as they follow their pre-defined path. Once I get far enough I setup my Fort and some Towers around a Trading Station to act as my forward assembly base. With luck the enemy will attack that instead of my main town. From there I will mass produce troops and assemble them into 2 or 3 standing armies. Cannons still have to be produced back in town though.

Once I get my standing armies I attack any Trading Stations the enemy have with one as another stands off until the enemy troops engage to defend the building. From there I back trake their own path right into their War Machine and destroy as many barracks, stables, and blacksmiths as I can while still killing off any troops that appear. While this is going on a new standing army is being trained and assembled with cannons back at the Fort. By the time the next army is on its way most of the original troops have been destroyed, but they have caused a lot of damage in the enemies ability to replace its troops.

From what I have seen the AI usually B-line it towards the Town Center and target it first along with Settlers. If you want the AI enemy to surrender quickly then thats the fastest way to do so. Find as many of their settlers and kill them, then go for their Town Centers and take them out along with any new settlers that attempt to get away. Once thier ability to gether resources or manufacture them is eliminated, they almost always surrender.

Over all I am enjoying the game a lot. My home town is level 15 giving me access to many powerful cards, along with two factories. Does anyone else have this game and play it? What do you think about it and what are some strategies you have found to work well?