Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Galactic Civilizations II

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Demo is out!

http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/gal ... ons2-demo/

Screenies look purty. Is this the 4x I've been waiting for?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Mmmm... I think it is. Just finished the demo, on my third playing. It's not perfect, but it's very very good.
Toltec

Post by Toltec »

Has this game been released yet? Thought it had. Any follow up?
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

I wonder if the gambinator posted that as an april fool's joke?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Check my XFire stats; I've been playing it quite a bit lately. It's quite entertaining.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Hows the game going? Figured out how to out do the AI all the time?

One of the people I worked with this summer played this game. It was interesting watching him and some of the strange things he did. He designed ships that were unstoppable unless the enemy had mass drivers and shields. Then he would be screwed but almost all of his enemies had little to no mass drivers in the several games I saw him play.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I don't think it's possible to outdo the AI all the time. I've got a pretty good chance of beating it on "challenging" but when you get past that, the AI gets an economic advantage and I simply can't take 'em.

There are the three attack methods (laser, mass driver, and missile) and three corresponding defense methods (shields, armor, ECM). You can develop any combination of them, but obviously it's better to use something your enemy isn't prepared for. I like to scout my nme before committing too heavily in a particular direction.
ATF Ravok
Inmate

Post by ATF Ravok »

I got the demo for this one, and am having fun with it. :) Nothing much to report, I am just dinking around with ship designs and things like that. Keeping my opponents on pure stupid so I dont have to worry about them so much... lol

I don't usually play strategy games, so its all new to me.

"Your link to missing links."
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Is this game still worth getting? I have seen it advertised on the internet for $30 with the Expansion pack "Dread Lords". Seen it played by a friend last summer and enjoyed what I saw. How complicated is the game such as telling each planet what to build, upgrading space stations, and other micro managing? I loved Master of Orion 2 and see Gal Civ 2 as an expanded and upgraded version of that.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Some people like it better than MOO, some prefer MOO over GalCiv. I think I prefer GalCiv but there are certainly some less-than-perfect things about it. In any case it's certainly an enjoyable game, and Stardock has some features similar to Steam tho less intrusive, meaning you can use your account to download it to a different PC if you need to.

There is a demo you can download and try, and I'd recommend you try it. It's turn-limited and there are some custom galaxy options you can't choose, but it's very good at giving you the feel of the game. They probably haven't updated it though there are a few new features and fixes that they've patched since the demo was produced.

Incidentally, I never got too far in the campaign and never worried about it too much. That's VERY unusual for me. There's lots of replayability just in the vs. CPU games.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

I just picked this up tonight. It was at Target for 20 bucks, so I figured "what the heck?"

:D

It was either this or Empire Earth 2, and I think I'll go back and pick that up this weekend. I know I don't have the time, but man... I love my strategy games!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Heh. I picked up Darwinia for $10 at Fry's last night.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Taking a look at ebay I see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Its the best price I have seen for the game and expansion pack. The only thing that makes my wonder is that the seller says its imported. What are the chances that its format doesn't match what my PC uses? If its fine, then I may go ahead and buy it now. Could use a new turn based game to play.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Wow. Haven't played a game for a while that I stayed up till 3 am playing....

Not since Tribes, really. :D

That's a good thing. But I'm up in two hours to go work out then work. blech. :D
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

They have produced a new expansion pack for Gal Civ 2.

Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor (Expansion)

It requires that you already have the first expansion pack. They added new race specific technology, buildings, ships, and more. Check out the website for more info:

http://www.galciv2.com/