Interesting Information (X3 Important)

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

TsN|Wildchild|xmen
Inmate

Interesting Information (X3 Important)

Post by TsN|Wildchild|xmen »

Ok, the only reason wh yI am putting this in here is for the guys who have X3 or any of the games listed on the game list on this webpage in the link.

I recently came across this information regarding a little unknown file called Starforce that installs itself and hides on your computers by certain games. I dislike when companies like StarForce have to use sneaky meathods to create copy-protection software. I am talking about StarForce in this case, and it installs a hidden driver onto the system that without it, you cannot play StarForce protected games. It does this without your knowledge or your consent. The illegal installation of the driver is enough to get me pissed off, but add the problem that a driver is never 100% compatible with every system. No where in the End User Licence Agreement is it mentioned that it will install this driver. There is a removal tool, but once the driver is removed, you cannot play StarForce protected games. Some people have resorted to writing thier favorite software developers/publishers to have them remove StarForce for another copy protection. Here is the link to the site that is fighting StarForce, and it's evil ways:

Boycott Starforce

Yes X3: Reunion is listed in the games that installs Starforce.
Kevin 'Wildchild' McIntyre
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I found that I had two copies of Starforce on my computer and used the uninstall program to remove them both. Afterwards I started both games and only the latest and greates Starforce, which has the least problems, was installed for X3.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Found this a couple of days ago, WC. viewtopic.php?t=2280

;)

TW, Starforce is a bad thing whether it's the latest & greatest or not. It breaks a number of laws in various countries by doing what it does, like the Sony rootkit; I imagine it will only be a matter of time before someone files a lawsuit.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Well, until someone creates or legally removes its CD checking before play X3 I will have to live with it. There are many things that get installed on a computer just surfing the net. All of that crap needs to be stopped but until then...

Maybe we can get to gether and create that law suite.

*EDIT*

Just noticed this on the X3 tech forum. This guy posted his information file that Starforce compiles.

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=126062
TsN|Wildchild|xmen
Inmate

Post by TsN|Wildchild|xmen »

Well Gambit, better late then never I suppose right? :D
Kevin 'Wildchild' McIntyre
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Absolutely. No harm in posting again, more obviously. :)
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Any sign of a lawsuit to get Starforce removed?
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060416

Just noticed that as I did my usuall morning comic reads online.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I'd like to mention that Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords is available without copy protection because they had problems with the scheme they used for GalCiv I. I think that was StarForce.

This spurning of industry "wisdom" for the benefit of the consumer was one more good reason to support it. It happens to be selling well, and it would be a great statement to the corporate suits if the game became a best-seller.