Spore

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

TimberWolf
Inmate

Spore

Post by TimberWolf »

Wil Wright, the creater of SimCity and The Sims, has solved the problem of ever increasing demand for more content in a game without having warehouses full of programmers and artists. And the way he presented it to the world was by making a game called Spore.

You start of as a microb, in a pacman like world, eating and trying to survive. Once you eat enough you can evolve, upgrade, your microb. After a while you will have a multi-cell creature. You will then be living in the ocean and continue to evolve. You will then make a choice to stay in the water, go onto the land, or evolve into a flying creature. You can then evolve the brain and develop culture, leading to cities, to war/trade, and space flight. You will then be able to play in the solar system until you develop the ability to go out into the Galaxy (yes I said Galaxy). There are hundreds of thousands of worlds to visit, not all are nice.

Also while all of this is happening, your creatures are being copied onto a master server with other player creatures and being automaticly downloaded by others to be used in their own games, just as theirs are being placed in yours. So this game has the characteristics of a MMOG without being online. All of this is done through a new way of coding where the game uses calculations to design everything on the fly, from how your creation moves, to how your cities look, to the look of a planet, and the interaction between it all.

Here are a few links:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3138792&did=1
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/616537p1.html?fromint=1
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've been watching this a little, and I hope the game lives up to its promise. I must say I'm looking forward to it, but I kind of got burned by Black & White so I'll wait and see.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I got B&W but couldn't play it much because it keeps making me feel sick after a little while of playing. I tried changing the graphics and reducing the speed in which I change my angle but it doesn't help. It is something about the game itself that make me physicly ill.

Back on Spore, the idea follows Sim Earth but with a more direct control over the development of the race. The entire idea of it has got me wanting it. Having an entire Galaxy to spread across, finding other creatures that others have created, either being peacefull or war like, and knowing that other players are having to put up with your own creations for better or for worst. Being able to have a sea race that build cities with domes full of water. The ability to mold practicly everything from looks to actual shape of the race, their buildings, and their vehicles.

This also brings a thought to mind. If the race coexists with others in an alliance, 'Federation', or 'Republic' then wouldn't it be possible to have a civil war break out and have your own version of Star Wars take place. I also have to wonder what your race does when you are not there watching them; do they move across the Galaxy on their own or are they only limited to the world they are on and the expanding is left soly on the player.

Hope to hear more info on it as the year progresses.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Check out this link to the video of Wil's lecture on it.

http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/aa16-wrig ... r1.htm?100
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

This years E3 presentation of Spore with Robin Williams own creation at the end:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 66&q=spore
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

This looks really interesting!
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Here is a bump worth having:

Official Release Date: March 3, 2008

Check out Spore.com or do a search for it on Google as there are several new videos that display how awesome the game is and how much better the graphics have become.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Woo-hoo!! Really looking forward to this one.

And a Will Wright game is a little more reliable than a Peter Molyneaux. :)
ATF Ravok
Inmate

Post by ATF Ravok »

Questiion: when do they stop eating?

"Your link to missing links."
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

You probably can stop with the feeding in the tribal phase.

If you've not watched the demo videos, you need to.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Wow.. Now that looks really cool. watching robin Williams create his creature was incredibly finny. I checked out the Spore site, but there's no real news or info on a release date. However, i think this'll be something the Mrs. might get into, which would be pretty cool. :D
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

The Tribal phase is the last phase where food is used to as a form of currency to support your creation. When you enter the City phase you have to extract gases from vents across the world. You buy everything with the gas, just like currency. So think of it this way, the more of those vents you control the more money you have. The more you have the less your rivals have. The less your rivals have the easier they will be to conquer or convince to join your government.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

EA has confirmed that Spore will be released "in time for the Holiday season." They failed to say which one but that it will be out and they are putting a lot of their attention into it.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Yup yup. Just checked up on that myself this week.

I saw one poster on one board said "I don't care if it doesn't live up to the hype, I just want to play the darn thing." I wanted to smack him. I'd rather wait for the great than have yet another mediocre game with a marketing campaign good enough to convince me to buy it.