Bwhahah! Privateer LIVES!

Talk about games other than Tribes.

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Bwhahah! Privateer LIVES!

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Anybody remember Wing Commander? Back in the day, Privateer was an Elite-style game in the WC universe, and quite popular. Popular enough, apparently, to generate an open-source, multi-platform version nearly identical to the first, and using modern 3-d graphics. Well, it's just been released as a fully-functional 1.0 version. Linky:

http://priv.solsector.net/announcements.htm
Atheist
Inmate

Post by Atheist »

Holy shite.

Is it Multiplayer too?

That would be KILLER.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Where's the multiplayer?

Some parts of the Privateer Remake are depending on what the guys at Vegastrike are doing (the Privateer Remake uses the Vegastrike game engine) so does multiplayer. The Vegastrike team works hard to get it in, but unfortunately it will last some more time, don't think in weeks or even month this feature is far away...
Hmm, this VegaStrike open-source project seems to be a fully functional game on its own, not just an engine. Looks nice, and there's other mods (like Trek) besides Privateer.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I hope they didn't copy that glitch at the end that prevented you, if you completed a certain mission, from finishing the game ever. I am going to forward the link to my brother who loves this games to death, and still has the original disks some where.
TsN|Wildchild|xmen
Inmate

Post by TsN|Wildchild|xmen »

I played the first one... and was relatively pleased. Or was the Freespace? I think that was freespace... I don't remember. I played so many games that say they are different yet the same it's confusing.

I had another one I purchased recently that had potential, but couldn't figure out the key mapping.
Kevin 'Wildchild' McIntyre