HELP!!!!!!!!

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by Spinning Hat »

Couple things- First, Everytime I start my PC I get this "AH-Ha" noise after The windows startup music plays, and It's not aything my wife or myself did to make it do this... First thought- Virus. So I go to the Trend Micro website and do their virus scan online, and It finds a trojan, non cleanable, so I delete the infected file. Restart, still get the noise, so I do another scan, scan comes up clean, no viruses found. WTF? Do you think it's something new and undetectable yet? It hasn't done anything malicious that I can tell, but I don't really want to find out, either.<br><br>Second problem- I went into the audio control panel to check some settings, and I noticed that there is a full output to my speakers but no sound coming out... Ya know in the Nforce2 audio control where it gives a visual representation of the audio levels coming to your speakers? Sound works, but the high level of output to the speakers worries me a bit, especially since there should be none when there's nothing going on....<br><br>Any help out there? <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--><!--EZCODE CENTER START--><div style="text-align:center"><br><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:red;font-family:Arial;font-size:medium;"><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"Never, Never, Never Quit"</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> -Winston Churchill</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></div><!--EZCODE CENTER END--></p><i></i>
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Something could easily be being loaded or run that makes the "ah-ha" noise; it wouldn't have to be a virus <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>per se</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. Check the processes you've got running and see if you can identify them all.<br><br>Trend Micro virus checker could be missing something.<br><br>Update your nforce drivers and see if there's any effect on your sound issue. Uninstall/reinstall the sound device? <p></p><i></i>
Scorch
Inmate

Post by Scorch »

Check your start up folder, somthing there may be starting up and running in the background but have a start up noise.<br><br>Do you have an instant messiging program that automatically starts up (ICQ, AIM, etc...)<br><br>A third option would be to search for all *.wav files (as thats probally what it is) and go through and play them all, when the one plays that you hear see where its located and if its in a programs directory thats probally the one playing it. <p></p><i></i>
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I reinstalled my NForce drivers, so my audio issue has been resolved.... now I just need to find that .wav file and kill it.... Ran Ad-Aware and found a few things, but still didn't kill it.... Will keep trying. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--><!--EZCODE CENTER START--><div style="text-align:center"><br><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:red;font-family:Arial;font-size:medium;"><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"Never, Never, Never Quit"</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> -Winston Churchill</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></div><!--EZCODE CENTER END--></p><i></i>
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10