Broke my laptop...

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

Broke my laptop...

Post by BlackRider »

The strap on my bookbag broke and my laptop went rolling down the concrete stairs. (Oops) The screen latches are broke and the DVD drive is flakey and the tablet doesn't work anymore. When we got it from Best Buy, my dad made me get the three years accidental damage replacement plan. So I guess I get to test that. ;)

The policy is at home, so I still have to reread it, but from what I've read, they tend to favor replacement over repair. I would be perfectly happy about a simple repair, or replacement with a refurbished tablet... but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about a replacement. I am worried about the "similar spec" bit of phrasing (b/c it's a 2 year old laptop that was mid->low spec when I bought it), but I really like the bit about replacement in the form of a giftcard. (Even if it's only a few hundred dollars.)

I'd like to dream about a new tablet, but it seems that Best Buy nolonger offers tablet laptops, so it's time for me to start looking at other aspects of laptops. I've never owned a laptop that weighs less than 7lbs, so weight doesn't bother me but my shoulder wouldn't mind something lighter. Something that could run photoshop would be nice, but I'm not really interested in power... though a nice outdoor visible type screen would be great.

Oh well... I'll update when I figure out how much of a rip-off this replacement plan was. Until then I'll be dreaming about a new laptop!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Ouch! Laptops don't like to be treated that way! :)

Usually they do the "similar spec" thing because tech stuff gets obsolete fast and they might have someone expecting or insisting on the exact same device, even though it's no longer available. AFAIK it should work in your favor this time.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Went through a similar thing with our camera last year. It didn't focus and it was only a couple of months old. The coverage works at Best Buy.

Just make sure that you determine what coverage you can get for the replacement item. Ours on the camera didn't start over.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I had the BB plan on some speakers once, and I blew them up, (oops.. Good song on. :D) and they replaced them no problems. if they replace the unit in the form of a giftcard, the Warranty is then voided and you'll have to buy a new one when you buy a new unit. Which, if history has a tendency to repeat itself, could well be worth the extra $60.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

I was told there was a very good chance that they'd replace it, and that if they replace it it would be with another tablet. I just hope they don't try and push one of those touch-screen "tablets" on me. I would be very upset. There is a HUGE difference between an active digitiser (requires a special pen) and a passive one (touch screen). Touch screens are toys, whereas a real tablet uses a WACOM tablet (what professional digi-artists use).

But anyway, since I haven't heard anything yet, I figure I'll stop in in the morning and pester the Best Buy peeps to see if I can find out what's going on.

*update*
Well, hrmmm... they fixed it but they claim they did nothing to the tablet, but it didn't work when I dropped it off and now it works again. weird

That's ok... it's still covered until 12/16/08, all I have to do is drop it again! (jk)