iMac help!!!!

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

iMac help!!!!

Post by Spinning Hat »

Ok - I found 2 iMacs sitting in the alley today near someones' garbage, (The City will not take them.) So i snag them, and see if they're salvageable. I don't have the Mac keyboard or mouse, but found a USB set here and plugged them in and gave it a go. Well, I get the Happy Mac face, (A Good sign.) but then a question mark like there is no system folder. I haven't dug inside to make sure the HDD and CDROM are hooked up, but if I need to install the system folder, does anyone happen to have or know where to get cheaply an OS 9.x disc? I'd love to be able to run 10.3, but I dunno what kind of hardware I've got yet,. and don't know if it would be worth it.

Thanks!
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Ambush Bug
Inmate

Post by Ambush Bug »

What shape and color are these iMacs? If it's one of the original 'Bondi Blue' (they're GREEEEEEN, dammit!) one-piece iMacs... you can run OSX on them, but it'll be painfully slow. I had one of those set-ups at DxR. Bleh.

As for OS9, you can find copies on Amazon, used.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

They're green and Pink.. The Mfgr date on the CDROM was 1999, and they were the original "egg" shaped iMacs. I started to dig into them a bit, and realized someone else had already tried to make 2 into 1, and didn't do a very good job of it... So I took them back to where I found them. I'm still gonna keep my eyes open for 1, as it'll be a good machine for the kids to play on with minimal hassles. :D
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Ambush Bug
Inmate

Post by Ambush Bug »

Yeah, you can very easily have an iMac of that style as a learner machine. Just keep a spare USB mouse and keyboard around for spills and you're set. You don't even need Apple-brand mice/keyboards, either.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I've been looking on craigslist, and for a while I was seeing a lot of older iMacs for around 450 - $100, and now I'm not seeing much of those.. Mostly people are trying to dump mid range enthusiast machines so they can build new machines for Vista... (Stupid people) There are a few Macs on there, but they're all the G3 - G4 towers, and I just need something simple for the kids.. However, with the announcement of the new iMacs, I may get one for myself.. There's something sexy about the 20" iMac I just seem drawn too... And for $1100, that's not too much to ask for a starter Mac. or mabye get a mini. I've got enough monitors and such to make one of those fit on my desk somehow. :D