Boot Problem

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

Boot Problem

Post by Sharpster »

Alright, I got to make this as short and sweet as possible because im headed off to work. I came home today and logged onto my name on my new pc (the one I built) and the desktop screen appeared to be frozen, couldnt click any icons or start menu or anything. I tried to bring the Task Manager up but that didnt work either. So I help in the power button to the pc and let it sit off for a few minutes.. So I go to boot it back up and it starts to power on with the fans andeverything and then just stops and power cuts off again. I havent made any changes to the setup of my pc, nor has anyone messed with any of the wires. It worked find when I left it last night no more then 15 hours or so ago. Anyone know what this could be ?
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Check your CPU fan to see if it died. Overheating will do that. That is the first thing I would check.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

General dirty insides is a good thing to check. While you're in there unplug and reseat everything.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Put a pair of clean underwear on your head, strip down to your boxers, and dnace around your room singing Ojibwe tribal chants, while spraying your PC down inside with compressed air. And then, while holding your breath, unplug and reseat everything. Even the RAM. :D
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Ojibwe? I was pretty sure it only worked right if you used Potawatomi...
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Ojibwe works with boot problems and droughts... Potawatomi works with Video and OS issues.
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

And konamawi works for both boot and OS (as well as drought and famine) because it is stronger, but you need copious amounts of vodka and liver.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Dare I ask what the liver is for? Vodka, well.. Sharp is a little young for that still... He'd better stick to the Ojibwe. ;)
The Spleen

Post by The Spleen »

It's Vodka and Vicodin!!

It may not help the puter, but you won't care!
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

You know, if you still have a boot problem, maybe you should try running shoes?

:p
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Well, I pulled out the 'puter and opened it up and cleaned out the dust (lots of it) that was in there. I took out the RAM Cards and placed them back in after I was done cleaning out the dust. Hooked everything back up and booted up... then about 5 seconds later it shut off again :(
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Did you get the dust that was in the CPU heatsink and fan? That's your primary heat culprit. Or could be the heatsink on the vid card. Also blow out the power supply.

Don't just re-seat the RAM. How about your vid card? Sound card? You never know where something's not connecting right.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Ya I got all of the dust out of the powersupply and vid card and cpu heatsink. I'll go back in there tommorow and re-seat the vid card.

And my for Ice's suggestion... I checked the CPU Fan and that seems to run fine along with the other 2 fans so i'm pretty sure it isnt some sort of overheating problem.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Short between mobo and case? Bad mobo? Check your capacitors on the mobo and see if any look like they've leaked or bulged. How new is this - still in warranty?

Really tough to say where the problem is without isolating the faulty component, and that means unhooking everything that's not absolutely necessary and seeing what changes the bad condition. Could disconnect the drives, remove the ram, etc so the only thing you've got is vid, then turn it on and see if it powers off by itself. If not, then the problem probably (but not absolutely) isn't with mobo, CPU, or vid. Then start adding components one at a time until the problem reappears.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Boot it up in SAFE MODE and see if it still shuts down. That will eliminate a driver or the bios power saving/windows power saving settings. If it does work then, do a rollback to the last recovery date to see if it was a patch that was installed that might have corrupted something in the registry.