My plans for my next computer

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Very nice. Good choices dude.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I have to give thanks to my Brother who helped me make those initial choices that I posted, then you all to who gave me their own personal experiences to help further refine them. Now lets just hope they all come in with no problems and it works on the first try. The only problem now is I can't wait to get to my parnets house to build it!
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

I would go with the 590 chipset, reason being is that the 570 is only 8x pci when using dual video cards where as the 590 is full 16x in dual mode.

My last system was a Nforce4 deluxe and the SLI was 8x in dual mode. It was a improvement over the 1 16x pci-e configuration but not what i would expect it to be.

This is the board i got.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131011
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I don't plan on using the SLI mode, at least not at this time.

System is built and running. Constructed it last Thursday night, installed the OS and software for the hardware. Then installed X3 and got it working as a test bed for the system to ensure that its all working. Currently in the process of transfering several gigs of data from two other computers and installing all of my games and programs for school. Over all I am very happy with the systems performance.

One questions, how do you turn on DMA for a SATA hard drive? My TV tuner card wants it on but I haven't been able to find the option.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Typically you can set DMA in the device settings. BUT...from what I understand some SATA devices under old drivers will not display DMA settings. You might want to ensure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard first, then look again.

Checking HD DMA Settings in XP:
Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.

Then click on the Control Panel icon located in the right column of the Start Menu.

If your Start Menu is set to the Classic View, then begin by clicking on the Start Button.

Then click on Settings, then click on the Control Panel icon to open up the Control Panel.

Now, Double click on the System icon to open up the System Properties window.

Now click on the Hardware tab located at the top of the screen.

Then click on the Device Manager button in the center area of the screen.

Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand that section.

Then double click on the Primary IDE Channel to display the Primary IDE Properties window.

Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.

Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.

Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.

Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.

Then double click on the Secondary IDE Channel to display the Secondary IDE Properties window.

Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.

Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.

Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.

Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.

Then close Device Manager and the Control Panel to return back to your Windows session.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Just did what you said an it was already setup that way. The Hard drive is hooked up through the SATA connections on my motherboard. Wouldn't that appear else where?