Abit AN7 Mobo installed monitor stays blank.

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Distort

Abit AN7 Mobo installed monitor stays blank.

Post by Distort »

The Story:
Well so I got bored and started to stare at my computer looking around found a pretty nice burn mark on my old MSI K7N2 Mobo though the computer ran fine It bugged the hell outa me so I replaced it with an Abit AN7 Mobo. I Read the book Hooked every thing back up, Cleared CMOS turned it on runs but the monitor does not turn on acts like it is in stand by. The mobo has a POST code screen on it that is giving my a code 90. I am forgeting what it said at the moment as i dont have the book in front of me.

Current system:
AthlonXP 3000+
400W PSU-not positive
512 corsair XMS pc 3200
2 80GB WD Hard Drives
ATI 9600SE 128mb Vid card

Any Idea of whats happening? im sure it something so simple it stupid.

Planed Upgrades
3GB CorsairXMS ram
Corsair 620W PSU
BFG Tech Geforce 7800GS 256mb

I do realize that i probably shouldn't upgrade this computer any more as it is 4 years old and would probably be a better investment to build a new computer but I figure i will wait till 2008 to build a new one.

Thanks
Dirk

Edit:
I found this with google
http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwbo ... 45749.html
I figure il try this tomarrow.
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

Did ya format?

I would suggest that you do so.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I'm not so sure your problem is a HDD issue, but it could be. I guess if ya didn't read the entire post, make sure you do so. Did you pop the old board back in and see what happens?
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Personally, I've had about a 50% success rate when performing a motherboard transplant. It's a fair bet that you'll need to reinstall windows, though there are tricks that can help. However...

Just from what you posted it doesn't sound like you're even getting that far. Sounds like the BIOS isn't getting far enough to initialize the video, hence your monitor sits in standby. The advice in the post you googled regarding pulling all components off and then adding them slowly, booting between each, is sound advice - used it myself multiple times. I think you'll need to at least do that to find the point of failure.
Distort

Post by Distort »

Well the only thing I can figure right now is that I have a bad Vid card becuase nothing is hooked up but the monitor. I figure I will recheck all the connections on the mobo and if nothing I will try my old mobo if it does turn on I will be buyin that new vid vard. I dont have any spares to test it with right now, I think I sold my old GF FX5200 so im SOL ATM. And as far as the reformat goes its not needed due to I can not even see the BIOs screen. Il probably need to after but I will keep yall informed as I make some progress later this week.

Edit:
Installed buddies vid card to new mobo nothing connected but monitor, no change. I will start to reinspect the mobo later tomarrow.
Distort

Post by Distort »

Well I reinstalled my old MSI mobo and am curently running with no problems. I will be buying a new powersupply due to a bunch of researching that this AN7 mobo is very picky on the psu being ran and my 350w psu just doesnt cut it.

Dirk