Tivo + DirecTV?

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Tivo + DirecTV?

Post by Spinning Hat »

Ok, I've got a standalone series 2 Tivo hooked up to basic cable right now, and I like it. Been looking at going with DirecTV soon because I'll be paying half for my phone, internet and TV that with 2 seperate companies. My question is, do any of you guys have a setup like this? If I get a second reciever to hook to my TV, will I still be able to watch one show and record another? I know I won't with the standalone box and the reciever, and It's pretty important to us to be able to do that.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN_Hammer
Inmate

Post by XMEN_Hammer »

Depends on which receiver you have. If its a dual tunner one box is enough. You can watch one while recording anouther. the second TV, will run off same box . It just uses a RF remote to transmit trough walls. Although on TV ,WILL have to watch channel being recorded. Unless you have a dual tunner for just one TV and recording and one tuner for second TV. Of course this will cost you more.
Proud member ot the Soup Clan
Proud Member of the XMEN Clan
Proud Member of the Dragon Talon Mercenaries
If you run, you will only die tired.
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

You got to have a receiver for each tv, in order to watch a seperate show and record another, at the same time.

If you have the option to get digital cable that is the way to roll. I get my phone,internet and cable all in one service. Saves me about 400 dollars a year. Not to mention the hardware cost (to upgrade) and the additional cost of each receiver.

I had Directv for over 8 years and switched over to digital cable about a year ago. The only advantage directv has over cable is that they hold the rights to NFL games. If i were to switch back to satellite (which im not) i would switch to Dish Network, due to the cost and availability of HD programming.
XMEN_Hammer
Inmate

Post by XMEN_Hammer »

They DO make a dual tuner receiver though. I know my friend has one. Not sure if hes on Direct TV or Dish cant remember.. One reciever, 2 tuner. Just like the dual TV tuner setup...
Proud member ot the Soup Clan
Proud Member of the XMEN Clan
Proud Member of the Dragon Talon Mercenaries
If you run, you will only die tired.
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

Really all DVR's are dual tuners. Watch a show, record a show at the same time.

Dish network offers one that you can hook up to 2 tv's but if recording and watching a show on the 1st tv, you can only watch the same program that is being watched, or watch recorded programming. :roll:

http://www.dishtv.com/digital_recording_system.jsp
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Well, the Watching and recording is gonna be on the same TV, while we still want to watch something else entirely on the second TV. I called DirecTV, and they said hooking up 2 boxes to the one TV, and having a 3rd box for the second TV will work and allow me to do what i want to do. The recievers I'm getting are the standard ones, without the dual tuner setup. So, I'll be able to record on my Tivo, watch a different show, and still be able to watch something else in the bedroom if it were to come down to that. :D I'm making the switch away from the cable because for what I'll be paying for DSL, Satellite and phone service saves me another $50 a month over what I'm currently paying. Having started a new job recently, and taking a big pay cut to boot, I've gotta save where I can.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10