Intereseting Challenge

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Intereseting Challenge

Post by Spinning Hat »

Ok, My cousin has my old laptop and the connector to where the PSU plugs into the back is loose, and he can't charge the battery or run the notebook. I know it's soldered to the mainboard, but do any of you guys know where to get that connector to replace it, or would it be possible to solder the leads of the power cord to the notebook to permanently affix the cord? I may be able to get this thing back from him for free, or cheap, and if I could do something like that, it would make for a nice backup computer. I think it's worth trying to save, as it's got a P4 @ 3GHz with 1Gb RAM and a 60Gb HDD. It was a really nice notebook before the power issues happened, so please let me know what you can think of.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

One of the most common problems with laptops. I hate the flimsy connectors they use. I have had no luck at soldering them. That is about the only option next to replacing the motherboard. :cry:
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

yeah, I'm not real interested in giving HP $200 for a mainboard for this laptop, no matter what it's potential worth may be.... I will pull it apart and see if the solder broke on the connection or if the wire broke.... It's a pretty sweet laptop too. :(
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

If the wire broke, you can still solder it...

Just make sure the insides of the connect are still in their proper places, then make sure that there is continuity with the pins and the connection inside the thing. if not, then see if you can very carefully pry it apart and rewire/solder stuff back together. If THAT doesn't work, post here and there is one more option.

Also, check for a fuse... sometimes, you never know. ;)

If it's the wiring in the cord itself, that's a relatively easy fix or replacement as well. ;)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

My cousin bought a new AC adapter for the notebook, all to no avail.. I'll pull it apart this weekend and see what I can see and post back.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Any news?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

no, Everytime I try to call him to go check it out he's too busy with friends to meet me at his house.. he's home on Leave, so it's understandable, but It'd be nice to tear into it, ya know?