Looking into a new video card

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Ok, I have slapped in the 430W power supply I got out of my dads old case and replaced my old 300W power supply. I have tried running my TV tuner card and it causes the system to reboot. Tried running Joint Ops and the problem is still there. I have changed the power connecters around to ensure that the video card would have all it could ask for, the only thing on the same line is a CD burner thats rarely used. Going to try some other things later but I have to get to doing some homework.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Move any card currently in the PCI slot next to the AGP slot to a different slot and keep that PCI slot open. I did have to do that for my card because I read that some motherboards have voltage regulation issues with the AGP and PCI slots next to each other (you get some overlap in the signals). The next thing is good airflow (try taking the cover off of your case and see if it makes a difference.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

After my problems with my Geforce2 and Sound Blaster cards, I never put any card next to the video card. As for air flow, the system is usually left on for days on end with no problem, even after playing games for a few hours on end. Due to one less power connector on the newer power supply I had to leave a case fan unplugged. The testing I did today was all with the case off and it was only on for less than an a couple of hours.

I did some research and according to Nvidia the latest and greatest drivers still support the Geforce 6600 series of cards. I will try those drivers again later on when I have the time.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Ok, last night was a gaming night for me. The latest and greatest drivers are installed and the game did reasonably well over all for 2 long maps on Joint Ops. On the third it caused my system to reboot. When the Windows error thing came up I sent it and for once it came back with something different and useful. It suggested turning down the hardware acceleration. So I have done that by 4 notches and will see how it performs the next time I play. Until then I have a lot of work thats due Monday for my classes.

*EDIT*

I have switch back to my old card and everything is back to normal, even the TV tuner is working again. Will do a little research to see if there is something I can do to get it to work later.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I strongly suggest you consider sending that card in under warranty...just to remove that as the problem. Just too much going on here.

My two cents.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Where do I send it and is there anything special that needs to be with it? Remember I bought this card off of Ash which came from you, Ice.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Manufacturer usually does not require a copy of the purchase receipt.

If I remember correctly that is an EVGA card. Here is their RMA site...try and see if you can register it and get them to issue an RMA for the card to get it replaced.

http://www.evga.com/rma/default.asp

I think that is the best thing to try at this point.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Yeah. Hmm...

If you need to pay anything for shipping and all, let us know. I'll gladly help out cause I feel like somehow it's my fault. The card didn't have these issues when I had it. :(

I wonder what's going on.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

There is a chance that I may have accidently damaged it. The metal faceplate was too large for my case and I had to trim it down a little bit to get it to fit. I had covered the board with only the piece to be cut sticking out through the cover and used a Dremel to cut less than a quarter inch off. When I did that, I was afraid that the heat generated from the cut may do something to the card. I should get time this weekend to look into sending the card in for replacement. Got a midterm tomarrow, along with some homework due that morning and another set due friday that I haven't started.
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

If you cut into the card plate, i highly doubt they will exchange it. I guess you can send it to them and see what happens. But typically no manufacturer will honor a warranty when you do something such as that to the product.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I really doubt there is something wrong with the card, but there is something in my system that just doesn't like it. I am still confused as to why the low end game was having such a hard time while my higher end games were working well.