Looking into a new video card

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

TimberWolf
Inmate

Looking into a new video card

Post by TimberWolf »

Ok, my system is old now. I am still operating a GeForce 3 Ti 200 and the rest of my system is about that age. I have at most $120 to spend on a new card. It has to be an AGP slot fitting card.

I looked at Toms Hardware and saw that give praise to the Geforce 6600. I have been able to find the following listings:

Fry's Electronics:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/465772 ... IN_RSLT_PG
and
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/465772 ... IN_RSLT_PG

Any other options you would suggest and any better place to buy online?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I don't know that you'd be able to see much difference between a 5-series and a 6-series card. If the rest of your system is at that level, a whiz-bang graphics card will only move the bottleneck to other parts of the system. The 6600 is a nice card (do they make AGP 6600s?) but AGP cards also generally cost more than the PCIx equivalent. I put a 5700 in my son's 1GHz system, for example, and it seems to be fairly balanced with the system.

Maybe check out Tom's or Anand's recommendations back from when your system was just past brand-new, or a little beyond?

As far as a place to buy online, I'd recommend Newegg.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Hammer might be interested in selling his GeForce 5700 Ultra for a good price. We are about to upgrade him to a much more powerful SLI system so he will probably be motivated to sell so he can upgrade. It is worth about $40-60, if I were you I would buy it and put the remainder of your money in a processor or memory upgrade until you go big later. Just my two cents. :)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

I would be willing to part with the card that Ice just sent me a while back. It's an AGP Geforce 6800 GT.

Very nice card, even by today's standards.

Though with the introduction of nvidia's latest Geforce 8800s last week, prices will start to drop on previous generation cards. ATI is going to release something in a couple of months as well.

BTW, I upgraded from a Geforce 3 (first gen, geforce 3, not one of the "Ti"s). It was an eye opener. ;)
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Here is my current system:

MSI K7N2 Delta-L
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.7GHz)
1024 MB RAM (DDR)
Digifire 7.1 Sound Card
ATI TV Tuner
Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200

Ashaman, how much for your Geforece 6800 GT? I probably won't have a chance to really do anything with my system until I get it back home for Christmas. I also still have to try a couple of things on the failed hard drive and then send it off to Ice if I can't get it working. Been very busy with either work or school.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I was running a GF4 with my Athlon 1800, and have a GF6800 for my Athlon64 3000. I've typically gone with the even-numbered nvidia cards.

Kind of like Trek movies. :)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

You know, since it was basically a gift to me, and I'm guessing as to what the postage cost, I'd part with it for 35 bucks. I've got some good use out of it, and I will continue to do so. I really can't put my new video card in to my computer till I get a MB and cpu. My current MB has an AGP slot, and my new card is PCIe.

I might not be able to get the card to you until just before or just after the holidays. That's due to me needing my current one till I finish off this system. If that's okay, then $35 and it's yours. :D

I was in college for a bit, so don't worry about postage. Just think of it as you buying me a pitcher of beer, and you getting a video card that will definitely hold you over till you can get newer hardware. ;)
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

TW...you would be really crazy not to jump on that right away. That is a steal for what I bought it for. Crap...if you don't take it then I am buying it back for one of my nephews systems!!!!
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

So where should I send the check?

If you don't get it to me till after the New Year it wouldn't be a problem. I have all the tools I need to put it in with me on campus. Just PM or email me with the mailing info.
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

I will have 2 7800GT's for sale in prolly a month or so. So i can get my hands on a DX10 card. Figure 150-175 ea, which is a great freakin price btw. :wink:
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

AGP, mega, or PCIe?
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

PCIe
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

How big of a PSU do you need for that?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I think a 450W is recommended. The 7800 and the 6800 are really close inpower usage, and that's what mine is. But of course, a bigger PSU is always better. :D
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

Thanks Ashaman, installed the card last night and tried my new game (Age of Empires 3). I will try X3 later this week to see if it works again. The card arrived the day before Christmas as if it was a present. Seems fitting.