Router

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

FaLLGuY
Inmate

Router

Post by FaLLGuY »

Any good Wireless Routers out there I should check out.... I have a Linksys Wireless-B BEFW11S4 and I have to unplug it a lot now to get it to work. I need one that will handle gaming. :?
FaLLGuY
Inmate

Post by FaLLGuY »

I'm looking at this one..What you thinks? 8)

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Never had router trouble like that before, but then I've owned exactly two brands: SMB and DLink. At one point I know that Linksys were having some trouble with gaming latency, but that was pre-wireless.

I get a little tight-fisted when someone slaps the word "gaming" on something and then charges extra for it. Seems like a marketing gimmick. Not compared any reviews, so only MHO.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I have to reset my router once a day to reconnect to the DSL for some reason. But I am used to it now and it is no big deal.

I recommend Linksys or Netgear routers for reliability.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I've got the Linksys model you describe Fg. Is your firmware updated? And do you have cable or DSL? I was having issues with having to reset the modem, and Trime Warner came out and did somethuing to the Cable lines, and I haven't had any issues after that. ( I don't know what they did, but they fixed it.) I like the Linksys routers, Thay're pretty good. But If you're gonna shy away from them, then go D-Link. Those are OK, but the interface kinda sucks, IMO.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
FaLLGuY
Inmate

Post by FaLLGuY »

I have the latest firmware installed and I have Cable. 8)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

When's the last time you did a hard reset on your modem? I've had more problems with my modem than my router. I have the Wireless G Linksys with Speedbooster. I'd do a hard reset of the modem, and the router, and see where things stand after that. How's your signal strength to the router? You can upgrade the antennas on those for about $50. If you're convinced it's the Router, Try the Linksys Wireless G. It's a great router, at a pretty good price.

Also, how long have you had the modem, and do you own it, or rent? I'd call the cable co. and see if they see anything bad with it. Comcast has been pretty good about that kind of stuff for me.
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
FaLLGuY
Inmate

Post by FaLLGuY »

I bought the D-Link router and it runs great... Me likes! :D
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hey, great!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I just got a Linksys Wireless G SRX router, it's supposed to expand the range, etc. etc. But it's not helping with bouncing signals around the corner like it's supposed to. I think it's gonna have to go back. I was looking simply for the High gain antennas and Best Lie doesn't carry them, and neither does Circuit City. On the Linksys site they're supposed to be available, but they don't help you find rthe products at retail like most companies do who don't sell their wares direct to the public...
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Tin cans work great. Plus a little foil. Plans on the net, much cheaper (even to try and fail) than buying one.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I'm gonna return my router and get a USB netowrk adapter with a long USB cable, and just reposition where it is, so I have Line of sight to the router. The fiancee has almost line of sight and she's got full signal, same with my brother. It's a cheap option, so it should be OK. But this new router does have QoS features on it, but I have no need to really enable them. Our bandwidth is sufficient to allow 2 online gamers playing and someone to surf the net and download a file or two when needed. :D
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

NO! NOooooo! Do NOT run ethernet over USB!!

Ok, so I'm overreacting a bit. :) But seriously, at least before USB 2 this was a very bad idea, and I'm not sure it's better now. Network is really not what USB was designed for.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

No, USB is NOT good for network stuff.

Get a decent switch. :)

USB is a purely serial connection. Ethernet is parallel. The other thing is that USB's bandwidth tops well before ethernet.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

A switch is all well and good, but cabling to where I'm at is impractical. I'm stuck in a corner, around a corner from the Wirelss access point. Moving the router is impractical as well because of the availability of power outlets for the modem and router, and the connections needed for the PS2 and Xbox. Unless of course I get a nifty wireless gaming adapter, that works with the PS2 and Xbox with no drovers.... I'm starting to formulate a plan here... I'll keep you updated.