New Unrelated issues....

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

New Unrelated issues....

Post by Spinning Hat »

Oh boy, has this been the week from hell for the PCs in my house... The GF was on her machine tonight, when she got a BSOD with the usual cryptic message, (Running WinXP) and it told her to reboot. She did so, and the machine would not boot. No POST, no memory test, no video, nothing. The fans came on, but nothing else. The machine has integrated video, so It could be that, but it should still POST and I should hear the beep from the memory test, right? I'm thinking the mainboard or the BIOS is fried or something... It's not all that bad if it is, but I just want to be sure before I drop the bucks on a new board / CPU combo.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Re-seat all cards and memory, then pull the power cord, clear the CMOS.

Wait 10 minutes

THEN plug back in the power and try again. Sometimes it is just that finicky.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I hope that's right.. (Then again, I kinda hope it's the board.. Does that make me a bad person? LOL)
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I got it figured.. took the damn thing pretty much apart, reseated everything, and it works.. here's to waiting to see how long I have to go before I have to do it again... LOL
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Dust? Got cats?

Glad is OK now.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Yes to a cat, no dust in the case.. it just needed a good jostling of components... The case was as clean inside as I've seen... It's not a high performance system, so it's pretty quiet.. only one fan on the back of the case.. but I'm going to remedey that in the next day or two, now that I have my new fans.