Computer Cooling

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I've got a Thermaltake 120mm fan blowing in from the front, and an 80mm fan from the side, with one Thermaltake 120mm blowing out the back, and there's 3 fans on my PSU, all drawing air out.. I'm gonna try and turn the fans down since I can do that, and see what happens.. here's for the best. :D
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I've tried to stem the flow of the air by the PSU, and no luck. The video card doesn't have vents out the back of it like most 6 series cards... It's got this massive copper heatsink on it, and a fan that blows air onto the GPU with heat spreaders over the RAM.. It's a pretty piss poor setup if ya ask me. I sent another Email to Leadtek, with more screens and data, and asking to get the Email address of a supervisor, or for him/her to call me. If nothing else, I have the phone number and extension of the guy I've been dealing with, and I'll call him and ask for the super. This is getting REAL old.
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Here's a question for ya then, did they put thermal compound between the RAM and heatsink(s)?

It also could be that you have some recirculation with those video card fans you described. Is there a fan that you have that you can direct air over the video card to breakup any possible recirculation?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

The fan on the side of the case blows almost directly on it. I'm not going to take the heatsink off the GPU just yet, mostly because it requires a special tool to do it, and I don't have it. The heat spreaders in te RAm are easily enough removed, but the heatsink on this card is a giant copper thing, with some odd looking screws holding it on. I sent an Email on Friday to the supervisor of the RMA guy I was talking to, but haven't had any responser yet. I've got his number and direct extension, so I'll call Monday or Tuesday. I'm pushing for a different model card at this point. The only card they have again to cross ship is my old one, the RMA guy told me that, and we don't want to deal with this again. Thy've had some major problems with this particular cooling solution I think.. It's the only card they used it on, and the PX6800 Ultra was not on the market very long in the 256Mb version. They have a 512Mb version out now, but it's got the reference heatsink and fan on it like most all other Nvidia cards do.

It's my experience that for the most part, Nvidia's reference card design works very well, and these manufacturers shouldn't change that. It almost always blows up in their face. I understand that they're trying to differentiate themselves from other companies, but there's not much one can do if everyone is marketing the exact same product. That's where the warranty and customer service and support count the most, IMO. If I have to spend $20 more for a lifetime warranty ona card over one that has a 1 year warranty, I'll spend the money. I don't normally upgrade just a video card when I upgrade. I'll build a whole new system normally, because by the time I'm ready to upgrade, there's been 1 or 2 generations of processors since my last system build, and their prices have normalized to where it's affordable to build a new system... Off topic, I know, but oh well. ;)